Square pivoted at corner-conservation of energy

In summary: For example, in part (b), you say "the angular speed ω of the square at the moment when BD is horizontal, Conservation of energy - the amount the com falls goes to kinetic energy." This would be a good place to include a sentence like "The angular velocity of the square is ω=5.236924015*0.8√(2)."
natasha13100

Homework Statement

A uniform square plate ABCD has mass 2.5 kg and side length 0.8 m. The square is pivoted at vertex D and initially held at rest so that sides AB and CD are horizontal (see the diagram). After it is released, the plate swings downward, rotating about the pivot point. Resistive force can be neglected. The acceleration due to gravity is g = 9.8 m/s2. The rotational inertia of a square plate of side d relative to the axis perpendicular to the plate and passing through the center of mass is md2/6. Find (a) the rotational inertia about the pivot, (b) the angular speed ω of the square at the moment when BD is horizontal, (c) the linear speed v of B at the moment when BD is horizontal, and (d) the linear speed of B at the moment when B is straight down

Homework Equations

Icm=md2/6
Ip=Icm+mx^2 where x=distance from pivot to cm
conservation of energy (in this case Ugrav,i=Ktrans+Krot+Ugrav,f)
v=ωr

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) Icm=2.5*0.82/6=4/15
x=d√(2)/2=.4√(2)
Ip=4/15+2.5(.4√(2))2=52/15

(b) Ugrav=mgh where h=height above pivot
Ugrav=mgd/2=9.8
Ktrans=1/2mv2=1/2mr2ω2 where r=radius(I'm not sure about what to consider the radius, but I would guess it is the distance from the pivot to the center of mass)
Ktrans=1/2m(d√(2)/2)2ω2=1/4md2ω2=1/4*2.5*(.32)2ω2=.064ω2
Krot=1/2*44/75ω2=22/75*ω2
9.8=ω2(.064+22/75)
ω2=9.8/(134/375)=3675/134
ω=5.236924015

(c)v=ωb where b=distance from pivot to B
v=ωd√(2)=5.236924015*0.8√(2)=5.924903173

(d)9.8=ω2(.064+22/75)-mgd√(2)/2
9.8-2.5*0.8√(2)/2=(49-5√(2))/5=ω2(.064+22/75)
ω=√((49-5√(2))/5/(.064+22/75))=4.844345769
v=ωr=d√(2)=ω0.8√(2)=5.480751589

Attachments

• square start.PNG
    square start.PNG
    1.3 KB · Views: 1,387
  • square with BD horizontal.PNG
    square with BD horizontal.PNG
    2.9 KB · Views: 793
Physics news on Phys.org
It is a good idea to put your reasoning down so people don't have to guess - it also helps us taylor the replies to the way you think. Don't forget to write down the units in your answers.

(a) the rotational inertia about the pivot,
Parallel axis theorem - which you appear to have done with:
x=d√(2)/2=.4√(2)
... you seem to be saying that the center of mass lies half-way along a diagonal? (i.e. x=|DB|/2)
Another approach would have been to mark the com by the letter O and realize that the triangle DCO is of type 1-1-√2 with CD forming the hypotenuse. By similar triangles: |DC|=d x=|DO|=d/√2

(b) the angular speed ω of the square at the moment when BD is horizontal,
Conservation of energy - the amount the com falls goes to kinetic energy.
Ugrav=mgh where h=height above pivot
Ugrav=mgd/2=9.8
... you have defined your zero for potential energy at the pivot height - well done. This appears to be saying that the com falls a distance d/2=0.4m ... is this correct?

Ktrans=1/2mv2=1/2mr2ω2 where r=radius(I'm not sure about what to consider the radius, but I would guess it is the distance from the pivot to the center of mass)

Only if point B is at the center of mass - is it? (i'm guessing this is the bit you want help on.)
Why not just use the rotational kinetic energy: ##K_{rot}=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2## ... you found I in part (a).

(c) the linear speed v of B at the moment when BD is horizontal, and (d) the linear speed of B at the moment when B is straight down.
Relationship between angular velocity and tangential velocity. It only asks for speed you you don't have to worry about the directions.

Likes 1 person
Sorry about not making myself clear enough. I believe if I can figure out part b then I can get the rest on my own. Thanks for the tip about Krot. All of our formulas are based on center of mass and that was making it more complicated. We are also supposed to be using both rotational and translational kinetic energy
If I understand correctly, Ugrav=Krot,p
mgd/2=1/2Ipω2
ω=√(mgd/Ip)=2.5*9.8*.8*15/52=147/26

Last edited:
You do need to be careful about when you need the translational as well as the rotational stuff.
But you can do everything you need in the reference frame of the pivot point, which makes it easier.

You have understood what I was saying though.
Rinse and repeat :)

Note: you appear to have been clear enough - but if you add a brief description of your thinking to your working, you will make it easier for people to give you full marks ;) It can be as simple as just naming the principle you are using to get that step.

Your solution looks good and follows the correct approach. You have correctly calculated the rotational inertia about the pivot point (Ip), the angular speed (ω) at the moment when BD is horizontal, and the linear speed (v) of B at that moment. For part (d), you have correctly used the conservation of energy equation to find the final linear speed of B when it is straight down. Overall, your solution is thorough and shows a good understanding of the concept of conservation of energy in this scenario. Well done!

1. What is conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is a fundamental law of science that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. How does conservation of energy apply to a square pivoted at a corner?

In the case of a square pivoted at a corner, conservation of energy applies as the potential energy stored in the square is converted into kinetic energy as it falls and rotates around the pivot point.

3. What factors influence the energy conservation in a square pivoted at a corner?

The energy conservation in a square pivoted at a corner is influenced by factors such as the height of the pivot point, the mass and shape of the square, and the force of gravity.

4. Can energy be lost in a square pivoted at a corner?

In theory, no energy is lost in a square pivoted at a corner since the total energy of the system remains constant. However, in real-world scenarios, some energy may be lost due to factors such as friction and air resistance.

5. How is the conservation of energy in a square pivoted at a corner related to the laws of motion?

The conservation of energy in a square pivoted at a corner is related to the laws of motion, specifically the law of conservation of angular momentum. As the square rotates, angular momentum is conserved, and this relates to the conservation of energy as well.