Square rooting an equation/inequality, which side is +/-?

• Thread starter autodidude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Square
In summary, when taking the square root of an inequality such as x^2 > 2/3, the left hand side does not become plus or minus, but rather the inequality must be split into two cases: either x>2 or x<-2. This is because, by definition, the square root of a nonnegative real number is nonnegative. This also applies to trigonometric equations, where the solutions will either be cos(x)=1/2 or cos(x)=-1/2.
autodidude
When you have something like x^2 > 2/3 and you root it, why does the left hand side become the plus or minus and not the right side? I only get the correct answer if I do it on the left hand side.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think the usual way of doing this is not writing +/- in front of anything, but just expanding this equations in two equations.

Let's take an x such that

[tex]x^2>4[/tex]

(I pick 4 because the notation will be easier). When I square root both sides, then I'll get

[tex]\sqrt{x^2}>2[/tex]

However, note the very important point that [itex]\sqrt{x^2}[/itex] is NOT always equal to x. This is only true if [itex]x\geq 0[/itex]. For example: [itex]\sqrt{(-1)^2}=1\neq -1[/itex].

So we have to split up in two cases:
1) Either [itex]x\geq 0[/itex]. In that case [itex]\sqrt{x^2}=x[/itex], so we get

[tex]x>2[/tex]

2) Or x<0, in that case [itex]\sqrt{x^2}=-x[/itex], so we get

[tex]-x>2[/tex]

Or equivalently

[tex]x<-2[/tex]

So, to conclude: if we take an x such that [itex]x^2>4[/itex], then we either get that x>2 or x<-2.

To expand slightly on what micromass said, while it is not true that
##\sqrt{x^2} = x##
it is true that ##\sqrt{x^2} = |x|##.

Getting rid of the absolute values leads to the same two cases that micromass mentioned.

Likes Vatsal Goyal
^ Thanks, but don't understand why you can't put a plus/minus (besides from the fact that you get an incorrect answer :p) in front of the number

Because, by definition, the square root of a nonnegative real number is nonnegative.

For example, many people erroneously believe that √4 = ±2. Although 4 does have two square roots, the principal square root of 4 is 2.

autodidude said:
When you have something like x^2 > 2/3 and you root it, why does the left hand side become the plus or minus and not the right side? I only get the correct answer if I do it on the left hand side.
It doesn't. If [itex]x^2> 2/3[/itex] then either [itex]x<-\sqrt{2/3}[/itex] or [itex]x> \sqrt{2/3}[/itex].

Conversely, if the problem were [itex]x^2< 2/3[/itex] then [itex]-\sqrt{2/3}< x< \sqrt{2/3}[/itex].

^ Thanks HallsOfIvy, never knew that!

Mark44 said:
Because, by definition, the square root of a nonnegative real number is nonnegative.

For example, many people erroneously believe that √4 = ±2. Although 4 does have two square roots, the principal square root of 4 is 2.

Well, it is NOT erroneous to "believe" that [itex]\sqrt{4}=\pm 2[/itex] since, as it happens, both values on the RHS when

squared equal 4 and this is the primary definition of "square root.

It is DEFINED that [itex]\sqrt{4}=2[/itex] mostly, I think, to make [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] a function, which otherwise it wouldn't be. If one want to mess with the

negative root is thus customary to take [itex]-\sqrt{4}=-2[/itex] and everybody happy.

DonAntonio

DonAntonio said:
Well, it is NOT erroneous to "believe" that [itex]\sqrt{4}=\pm 2[/itex] since, as it happens, both values on the RHS when

squared equal 4 and this is the primary definition of "square root.
Granted, 4 has two square roots, and I mentioned this earlier in the thread. However, the notation ##\sqrt{a}## indicates the principal square root.
DonAntonio said:
It is DEFINED that [itex]\sqrt{4}=2[/itex] mostly, I think, to make [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] a function, which otherwise it wouldn't be. If one want to mess with the

negative root is thus customary to take [itex]-\sqrt{4}=-2[/itex] and everybody happy.

DonAntonio

Ooh, one more thing, does this apply to trig equations as well?

e.g. cos^2(x) = 1/4 becomes cos(x)=1/2 and -cos(x)=1/2 (from ±√(cos^2(x)) = √(1/2)) rather than cos(x)=±1/2 (which evaluates to the same answer, just being pedantic)

autodidude said:
Ooh, one more thing, does this apply to trig equations as well?

e.g. cos^2(x) = 1/4 becomes cos(x)=1/2 and -cos(x)=1/2
Yes, of course. The above should be cos(x) = 1/2 OR -cos(x) = 1/2.
autodidude said:
(from ±√(cos^2(x)) = √(1/2)) rather than cos(x)=±1/2 (which evaluates to the same answer, just being pedantic)

^ Thank you! Ah, missed that >.<

1. What is square rooting an equation/inequality?

Square rooting an equation or inequality involves finding the number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. For example, the square root of 25 is 5, because 5 x 5 = 25.

2. Why do we need to square root an equation/inequality?

Square rooting an equation or inequality is a way to solve for the unknown variable. By taking the square root of both sides of the equation or inequality, we can isolate the variable and find its value.

3. Which side of the equation/inequality do we put the +/- sign when square rooting?

The +/- sign is always placed on the side of the equation/inequality that has the variable. For example, if the equation is x^2 = 25, when we square root both sides, it becomes x = +/- 5.

4. Can we square root both sides of an equation/inequality at the same time?

Yes, we can square root both sides of an equation/inequality at the same time. This is known as the square root property and is a useful method for solving equations and inequalities involving squares.

5. Are there any restrictions when square rooting an equation/inequality?

Yes, there are some restrictions when square rooting an equation/inequality. We cannot take the square root of a negative number, as it will result in an imaginary number. Also, when dealing with inequalities, we must consider the possibility of extraneous solutions, which may be introduced when squaring both sides.