Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Square rooting an equation/inequality, which side is +/-?

1. Apr 12, 2012 #1
    When you have something like x^2 > 2/3 and you root it, why does the left hand side become the plus or minus and not the right side? I only get the correct answer if I do it on the left hand side.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I think the usual way of doing this is not writing +/- in front of anything, but just expanding this equations in two equations.

Let's take an x such that

[tex]x^2>4[/tex]

(I pick 4 because the notation will be easier). When I square root both sides, then I'll get

[tex]\sqrt{x^2}>2[/tex]

However, note the very important point that [itex]\sqrt{x^2}[/itex] is NOT always equal to x. This is only true if [itex]x\geq 0[/itex]. For example: [itex]\sqrt{(-1)^2}=1\neq -1[/itex].

So we have to split up in two cases:
    1) Either [itex]x\geq 0[/itex]. In that case [itex]\sqrt{x^2}=x[/itex], so we get

[tex]x>2[/tex]

2) Or x<0, in that case [itex]\sqrt{x^2}=-x[/itex], so we get

[tex]-x>2[/tex]

Or equivalently

[tex]x<-2[/tex]

So, to conclude: if we take an x such that [itex]x^2>4[/itex], then we either get that x>2 or x<-2.

4. Apr 13, 2012 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

To expand slightly on what micromass said, while it is not true that
    ##\sqrt{x^2} = x##
    it is true that ##\sqrt{x^2} = |x|##.

Getting rid of the absolute values leads to the same two cases that micromass mentioned.

5. Apr 16, 2012 #4
    ^ Thanks, but don't understand why you can't put a plus/minus (besides from the fact that you get an incorrect answer :p) in front of the number

6. Apr 16, 2012 #5

Mark44

Because, by definition, the square root of a nonnegative real number is nonnegative.

For example, many people erroneously believe that √4 = ±2. Although 4 does have two square roots, the principal square root of 4 is 2.

7. Apr 16, 2012 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It doesn't. If [itex]x^2> 2/3[/itex] then either [itex]x<-\sqrt{2/3}[/itex] or [itex]x> \sqrt{2/3}[/itex].

Conversely, if the problem were [itex]x^2< 2/3[/itex] then [itex]-\sqrt{2/3}< x< \sqrt{2/3}[/itex].

8. Apr 23, 2012 #7
    ^ Thanks HallsOfIvy, never knew that!

9. Apr 23, 2012 #8

Well, it is NOT erroneous to "believe" that [itex]\sqrt{4}=\pm 2[/itex] since, as it happens, both values on the RHS when

squared equal 4 and this is the primary definition of "square root.

It is DEFINED that [itex]\sqrt{4}=2[/itex] mostly, I think, to make [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] a function, which otherwise it wouldn't be. If one want to mess with the

negative root is thus customary to take [itex]-\sqrt{4}=-2[/itex] and everybody happy.

DonAntonio

10. Apr 23, 2012 #9

Mark44

Granted, 4 has two square roots, and I mentioned this earlier in the thread. However, the notation ##\sqrt{a}## indicates the principal square root.

11. Apr 28, 2012 #10
    Ooh, one more thing, does this apply to trig equations as well?

e.g. cos^2(x) = 1/4 becomes cos(x)=1/2 and -cos(x)=1/2 (from ±√(cos^2(x)) = √(1/2)) rather than cos(x)=±1/2 (which evaluates to the same answer, just being pedantic)

12. Apr 29, 2012 #11

Mark44

Yes, of course. The above should be cos(x) = 1/2 OR -cos(x) = 1/2.

13. Apr 29, 2012 #12
    ^ Thank you! Ah, missed that >.<

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook