1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stability of Equilibrium solutions to ODE

1. Oct 22, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    y'=(1-y)(3-y)(5-t)

2. Relevant equations
    find equilibrium solutions of ODE and determine their stability

3. The attempt at a solution
    equilibrium solutions are y = 1 and y = 3, I'm not sure how to determine their stability without some form of a slope field, is it possible to do so without one if so how? thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There are three equilibrium solutions: y= 1, y= 3, and y= 5 because dy/dx is 0 at each of those three.

And you can determine stability just by looking at the sign of y' in each interval. I am going to write this as dy/dx= (-1)(x- 1)(x- 3)(x- 5) to get all factor in the form "x- a". If y< 1, all three of y-1, y- 3, and y- 5 will be negative. The product of four negative numbers (including (-1)) is positive which means that dy/dx= (-1)(y- 1)(y- 3)(y- 5) will be positive. Positive derivative means y is increasing toward from y= 1. If y is beween 1 and 3, y-1 is now positive while y- 3 and y- 5 are still negative. dy/dx is now the product of one positive and three negative numbers and so is now negative. That means y is decreasing- toward from y= 1, away from y= 3. For y between 3 and 5, both y-1 and y- 3 are positive, now y- 5 is negative so dy/dx is the product of two positive and two negative numbers and is positive. That means...

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  4. Oct 22, 2011 #3
    Got a t in there Hall.

May I suggest a non-standard approach which I think would be helpful? Ok, draw it first, then interpret the slop field algebraically. You can draw the slope field easily by converting it to a coupled system:

[tex]\frac{dt}{dt}=1[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}=(1-y)(3-y)(5-t)[/tex]

Now just do a StreamPlot in Mathematica:

StreamPlot[{1,(1-y)(3-y)(5-t)j},{t,0,10},{y,-10,10}]

Note what's happening around t=5. The derivative can change from positive to negative without y doing so.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook