Stairway to Heaven, Best rock song?

• Thread starter photon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rock
In summary: I like all Matchbox 20 albums :)I don't think I have physical graffiti baffledIn summary, Matt thinks that the best rock song is either Guns N' Roses' "Paradise City" or Matchbox 20's "Black Country Woman."
Led Zep Rocks - Kashmir, Stairway, Imm. song, Black Dog, Rock and Roll, Evermore (could go on) come to mind immediately
I thought No Quarter was okay...but not anywhere near Graffiti or IV

Also like ...The Who, Floyd, Cream, Doors, Tull, Dire Straits, Beatles, Hendrix, Queen, Purple, Dead, the Stones, CCR, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Tom Petty, Clapton, Janis Joplin, Blue Oyster Cult, Sabbath, Ozzy, Santana, CSNY, Eagles, Jeff. Airplane, the Boss, Frampton, Supertramp, the Kinks, Dylan, U2, Cheap Trick, Fl. Mac, El. John and much much more...

Physics news on Phys.org
Dagenais said:
Barenaked Ladies are a great rock band. They are one of the most popular Canadian bands.

They do alternative rock, but fans say they do geek rock.

They have some very catchy tunes.
LONG LIVE CANADA,

most good rock bands are Canadian nowadays anyways

Evo said:
It's because they did not play "Top 40's" music. Their songs were considered too long and some were too suggestive. They weren't played on the "pop" radio stations, which back then mostly played what was termed "bubblegum" music aka mindless cr@p. Led Zepelin was part of the underground (alternative) music movement and they were played by underground radio stations.
i know, but to not be reconized back then and now getting all that best band thingymagigs is still quite amazing, unheard of for any other band

oh Led Zep was quite the recognized back then too, from america to germany, but it took some years into the seventees before they were really heard of. When the physical graffiti record came if I remember correctly.

i_wish_i_was_smart said:
LONG LIVE CANADA,

most good rock bands are Canadian nowadays anyways

Hmm, all I can think of is Bryan Adams and Celine Dion...

Matt

baffledMatt said:

Matt

...and Alanis !

baffledMatt said:

Matt

All I can think of now is South Park - The Movie :biggrin:

One...two...three...

# Blame Canada! #

:wink:

Is Celine Dion really considered a Rock-N-Roll artist? :confused:

Joanie Mitchell, Rush, Gordon Lightfoot, The Guess Who, Neil Young - all Canadian?

Hmmm...forgot about Rush.

Didn't know Neil Young was Canadian. Then surely, Lynyrd Skynyrd's pissed-off-ness is understandable.

lets not forget, our lady peace, sum 41, avril lavigne, default, theory of a dead man, nikel back, finger eleven, the stills, out of your mouth, Billy Talent, Bachman turner overdrive, danko jones, simple plan, fefe dobson, sam roberts, and much more

Last edited:
sum 41, nikel back and avril lavigne are not things to be proud of!

Matt

and neither is danko jones

BTO is okay, though !

Perhaps not the best rock song of the history, but one of my favourites is "The final countdown", of the group Europe

Gokul43201 said:
Hmmm...forgot about Rush.

Didn't know Neil Young was Canadian. Then surely, Lynyrd Skynyrd's pissed-off-ness is understandable.

"Lynyrd Skynyrd'' was a gym coach [I had him in 8 grade]
the boys named the band after him to piss him off
boy was he a jerk!

BTW a great rock stream site for underground/garage
Hippie music, Underground, 60's punk, Flower Power, Mod, Free-Form-Freak-out, Garage music, Psychedelia or Teen Beat, the weirdest, the worst, the most powerful and nastiest ever recorded.
http://www.beyondthebeatgeneration.com/

ray b said:
"Lynyrd Skynyrd'' was a gym coach [I had him in 8 grade]
[/url]

I thought his name was Leonard, or something like that...?!

Gokul43201 said:
I thought his name was Leonard, or something like that...?!

yes [quickie cut and paste] the band mis-spelled the coach's name

I love the new blink 182 song... "Hello there, the angel from my nighmare ..blahblahblha" very nice.

"You remember Leonard Skinner - he got ptomaine poisoning last night after dinner." Alan Sherman, Camp Grenada

LOL - I remember that song well, Loren.

baffledMatt said:
sum 41, nikel back and avril lavigne are not things to be proud of!

Matt
never said i was, i was just stating that they were in fact, Canadian, which supports that's most rock bands nowadays are Canadian

hypnagogue said:
How about Down by the River by Neil Young? Who else can craft a kick ass riff using only one note?

Or for a more offbeat candidate, Venus in Furs by The Velvet Underground. Also partial to Black by Pearl Jam and Where I End and You Begin by Radiohead.

Those are great choices!

Thought of this thread while hearing Aerosmith's version of "Train Kept a Rollin'" on the radio tonight. And did it ever!