Standard deviation and interquartile range

In summary, the standard deviation tells the variability of the data, but it is less reliable if there are outliers.
morsel

Homework Statement

There are 10 observations.
(a) Suppose the IQR is 8. Is it possible that the standard deviation is 1?
(b) Suppose the standard deviation is 8. Is it possible that the IQR is 1?

Homework Equations

IQR = R3 - R1
91ea0949a71eb719b5626e83bd3d6d4a.png

The Attempt at a Solution

My argument is that (a) is impossible because the variation of the middle fifty percent of the data (IQR) cannot be greater than the variation of the entire data (standard deviation).
However, I'm unsure of whether I have to use the fact that there are 10 observations..

Physics news on Phys.org
morsel said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

IQR = R3 - R1

My argument is that (a) is impossible because the variation of the middle fifty percent of the data (IQR) cannot be greater than the variation of the entire data (standard deviation).
However, I'm unsure of whether I have to use the fact that there are 10 observations..

Note that the standard deviation does not really describe the variation of the entire data; in many cases, the sd is not a good measure of variability of the data -- and this is why you use the IQR. So when you use a 5-number summary it is usually because your data is either not symmetrically-distributed and has outliers.

Bacle2 said:
Note that the standard deviation does not really describe the variation of the entire data; in many cases, the sd is not a good measure of variability of the data -- and this is why you use the IQR. So when you use a 5-number summary it is usually because your data is either not symmetrically-distributed and has outliers.

Okay. So the IQR tells the variation of the middle fifty percent of the data, but the sd is less reliable if there are outliers. Does this mean that the IQR and sd don't have a relationship, since sd is not resistant? Would both cases be possible, then?

Sorry, I misread your problem; I'll get back to you by tomorrow.

morsel said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

IQR = R3 - R1

Hi, Sorry for the delay. Sorry, I have not been able to solve this yet. Let me assume we have 8 values {a1,...,a8} ,ordered by size, i.e., i<j →ai ≤ aj, to deal more easily with the quartiles; I think the results here will generalize:

This is for b, i.e, sd=8, and IQR=1.

I think thisis possible: minimize variability by having all values below the 75%-ile one unit
below it, then the rest all equal, e.g:

which gives you a standard deviation of 8.1. Then you can decrease the largest value so that your deviation is 8.

The problem I see with your argument is that variability of the data is measured against the mean, not between different values.

I'm still working on the other one.
See: http://easycalculation.com/statistics/standard-deviation.php

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between standard deviation and interquartile range?

Standard deviation is a measure of how spread out the data is from the mean, while interquartile range measures the spread of the middle 50% of the data.

2. How do you calculate standard deviation?

To calculate standard deviation, you first need to find the mean of the data. Then, subtract the mean from each data point and square the result. Add up all the squared differences, divide by the total number of data points, and then take the square root of that number.

3. Can standard deviation and interquartile range be negative?

No, both standard deviation and interquartile range cannot be negative. They are measures of spread and cannot have negative values.

4. What does a high standard deviation or interquartile range indicate?

A high standard deviation or interquartile range indicates that the data is more spread out from the mean, meaning there is more variability in the data.

5. How are standard deviation and interquartile range used in data analysis?

Standard deviation and interquartile range are used to analyze the spread and variability of data. They can also be used to compare different sets of data and identify outliers.