1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standard Deviation in terms of Probability Function

1. Jan 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I've still yet to learn Latex since I'm pretty good with words equation editor, so here's the question typed out in words.
    P4fFhXl.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    I really don't know what to do here.

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Have you tried starting by expanding out the brackets in the sum?

4. Jan 27, 2013 #3
    I did:

3waloSA.jpg

5. Jan 27, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There's a 1/N outside the sum.

6. Jan 27, 2013 #5
    But I can't really see how to turn mu^2/n into P(x_j)

7. Jan 27, 2013 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

$$\frac{1}{N}\sum_{i=1}^N \mu^2 = ?$$
    ... though you seem to be changing between n and N in the sums.

8. Jan 27, 2013 #7
    Yeah, N is the number of trials, and n is the number of possible outcomes from each trial. and also, considering mu is also a summation, I don't really know how to calculate mu^2.

9. Jan 27, 2013 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The expression
    [tex] \mu = \lim_{N \to \infty} \frac{1}{N} \sum_{i=1}^N x_i [/tex]
    is correct, but the expression
    [tex] \mu = \lim_{N \to \infty} \sum_{j=1}^n x_j P(x_j)[/tex] is false. Do you see why?

10. Jan 27, 2013 #9

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

So what is ##\mu## the mean of?

11. Jan 27, 2013 #10

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A lot of your difficulties are, I suspect, a result of using bad notation, so first, let's change it to something sensible. You have a random sample ##X_1, X_2, \ldots, X_N## drawn independently from a distribution ##\{ v_j, P(v_j), \: j = 1,2,\ldots n \}##. That is the possible values of each ##X_i ## are ##v_1, v_2, \ldots, v_n## with probabilities ##P(v_1), P(v_2), \ldots, P(v_n).## Now by definition, ##\mu = \sum_{j=1}^n P(v_j) v_j ## and ##\sigma^2 = \sum_{j=1}^n P(v_j)(v_j - \mu)^2.## Note that there are no N's or limits, or anything like that in these two expressions!

You are being asked to show that μ and σ2 are also given by the limiting expressions wiritten in the question. (To be technical, these are "almost-sure" equalities, but never mind than for now.)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  12. Jan 27, 2013 #11
    μ is supposed to be the average value of measured x.

And also, the question is given to us like that, but I understand what you mean since I do believe that's what it should be. And I've been wondering about the N and limit myself since at the end there are no N values in the expression.

13. Jan 27, 2013 #12

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, ##\mu## is not supposed to be the average of the measured x; it is supposed to be the mean of the distribution---given by the formula in my previous post.

Yes, there are no N values and limits in the end, because what you are being asked to show is the the large-N limit equals something, and that 'something' is just a number, not a function of N. For example, ##\lim_{N \to \infty} 1 + (1/N) = 1,## and at that point the '1' does not have any N's in it, or any 'lim', or anything like that: it is just the number '1'.

14. Jan 27, 2013 #13
    Ok I realize this. But I'm still not sure how to move on. For one thing,
    xrR9jUA.jpg

15. Jan 27, 2013 #14

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The number ##\mu^2## is just the square of the number ##\mu##---no, I am not kidding! It is a number, and has nothing at all to do with ##X_1, X_2, \ldots, X_N##.

16. Jan 27, 2013 #15
    This is where I am currently stuck at:
    CR7J0NY.jpg

If μ is just a number then I don't see a way to move on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook