1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standard deviation of series of trials

1. May 2, 2013 #1
    Say we want to saw ten planks and we have two methods available - one is sawing them all at once, ensuring they're all exactly uniform length. The other method is sawing them individually. Either method has EV of 1m and a standard deviation of 0.005m. I want to find the standard deviation of both methods.

In other words, given a random variable X, I guess what we're trying to figure out is SD(10X) and SD(X1 + X2 + ... + X10).

I'm not sure how to calculate the second one. Anyone want to give me a push? :S

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2013 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]\operatorname{SD}(A + B + \cdots + Z) = \sqrt{\operatorname{SD}(A)^2 + \operatorname{SD}(B)^2 + \cdots + \operatorname{SD}(Z)^2}[/tex]

What this basically says is that the variance Var(X) = SD(X)² is linear:
    [tex]\operatorname{Var}(A + B + \cdots + Z) = \operatorname{Var}(A) + \operatorname{Var}(B) + \cdots + \operatorname{Var}(Z)[/tex]

Also note that by setting A = B = ... = X you can actually derive the result for SD(10X).

4. May 2, 2013 #3
    Thanks a ton!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted