Unusually long-lived Painted Lady butterfly

• Thread starter ACG
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the unexpected long life of a Painted Lady butterfly named Marvin, who has surpassed its expected 2-4 week lifespan and is now over 8 weeks old. The speaker speculates that Marvin may have a longevity gene and wonders if the other butterflies also possess this gene. They are considering releasing the butterflies, but are concerned about potential genetic mutations.
ACG
Hi! I'm not sure whom I should talk to about this, but here goes.

My girlfriend and I got a bunch of Painted Lady butterfly caterpillars (second instar at the time) from a conservatory the day after Valentine's Day. According to what I've read on the Internet, the butterflies should live 2-4 weeks after they emerge from their pupae.

Well, if that's the case, apparently dear old Marvin didn't know that he was supposed to die. He's still alive, and it's May 4th. He hatched around March 3rd. He is now over 8 weeks old. Put it this way: he's right now sharing his butterfly house with his grand-nephew's pupa...because he lived long enough to hit on his niece.

None of the other first generation butterflies lived past five weeks. I was doing some speculation and it made me start wondering if two or three of the original eight have a longevity gene. It would explain why this particular specimen has been so long-lived. Furthermore, ALL FOUR of the second generation butterflies are still around and they're pushing four weeks.

Is there a large standard deviation in the age of these animals? If not, could there be a genetic thing that someone may want to look at? We're thinking of releasing the animals within a week or so, and I'm a little concerned that if there's some kind of favorable and/or dominant mutation that's making these butterflies live longer, we'd be messing with nature by releasing them.

Thanks in advance,

ACG

Biology news on Phys.org
Because you did nothing to alter the butterfly, we can assume, that its long life occurred naturally. I see no problems with letting it fly free. What a cool thing to watch.

Dear ACG,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your observations about the unusually long-lived Painted Lady butterfly. It is indeed fascinating to hear that Marvin has surpassed the average lifespan of 2-4 weeks for this species. Your speculation about a potential longevity gene is certainly an interesting possibility and could be worth further investigation.

In regards to your questions about the standard deviation and potential genetic factors, I would suggest consulting with a biologist or entomologist who specializes in butterfly research. They would have a better understanding of the average lifespan and potential genetic factors that could contribute to the extended lifespan of these butterflies. As for releasing the butterflies, it is always best to consult with experts in the field to ensure that we are not disrupting the natural balance of the ecosystem.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and for your concern for the well-being of these butterflies. Your curiosity and observations could potentially contribute to our understanding of this species and its lifespan. Keep up the good work!

Best,

1. What makes the Painted Lady butterfly unusually long-lived?

The Painted Lady butterfly has a longer lifespan compared to other butterfly species due to its ability to enter diapause, a state of dormancy in response to unfavorable environmental conditions. This allows them to survive harsh weather and food scarcity.

2. How long can the Painted Lady butterfly live?

On average, the Painted Lady butterfly can live up to 12 months. However, with favorable conditions and entering diapause, they can live up to 9 months longer.

3. Where can the Painted Lady butterfly be found?

The Painted Lady butterfly is a widespread species, found on all continents except Antarctica. They can be found in a variety of habitats, including meadows, gardens, and even urban areas.

4. Do Painted Lady butterflies migrate?

Yes, Painted Lady butterflies are known for their long-distance migrations, traveling thousands of miles from their breeding grounds to warmer regions for the winter. They are capable of flying at speeds of up to 30 miles per hour.

5. Are there any threats to the long lifespan of the Painted Lady butterfly?

While the Painted Lady butterfly has a relatively long lifespan, they are still susceptible to threats such as habitat loss, pesticide use, and climate change. These factors can impact their food sources and disrupt their migratory patterns, ultimately affecting their longevity.