Standard Model calculation of the rest energy of a proton

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the rest energy of a proton and comparing it to E=mc^2, taking into account the quark structure and QED aspects. Two sources have been recommended for further information: an article on arXiv and a scientific journal article, as well as the concept of lattice QCD on Wikipedia.
wuliwong
I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of the best way to calculate the rest energy of a proton. I am a complete noob with the standard model, so please be gentle. My goal is to compare a calculation of the energy which accounts for the quark structure of the proton versus E=mc^2. It is important to me to take into account the QED aspects of this problem, even if they are of a couple orders of magnitude less important.

Thanks,

Patrick

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the Standard Model?

The Standard Model is a theory in physics that describes the fundamental particles and forces of the universe. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity.

2. How is the rest energy of a proton calculated in the Standard Model?

The rest energy of a proton is calculated using the famous equation E=mc^2, where E represents energy, m represents mass, and c represents the speed of light. In the Standard Model, the mass of the proton is determined by the Higgs mechanism, which gives particles their mass through interactions with the Higgs field.

3. What is the significance of calculating the rest energy of a proton?

Calculating the rest energy of a proton is important because it helps us understand the fundamental building blocks of the universe. It also allows us to make predictions and test the validity of the Standard Model.

4. Are there any uncertainties in the Standard Model calculation of the rest energy of a proton?

Yes, there are some uncertainties in the calculation of the rest energy of a proton in the Standard Model. These uncertainties come from the complex interactions between particles and the limitations of our current understanding of the universe.

5. How does the Standard Model calculation of the rest energy of a proton compare to experimental measurements?

The Standard Model calculation of the rest energy of a proton has been shown to be incredibly accurate when compared to experimental measurements. This further validates the theory and our understanding of the fundamental particles and forces in the universe.