Neutrino Electron Scattering In The Standard Model Approach

In summary, the individual terms for the invariant amplitude of Neutrino-electron scattering in the standard model approach have been calculated, but there is an issue with the interference term due to the presence of a different Lorentz index in the numerator. The problem can potentially be solved by applying Fierz Rearrangement, but it is not clear how to do so in this case. There is currently no known book or paper that addresses this specific problem.
Radwan Parvez
Previously I posted a problem concerning Electron-neutrino scattering, but as I couldn't describe the problem clearly, so I am trying to post the problem using latex codes to present it in the correct way.

For a couple of months, I am trying to calculate the invariant amplitude of the Neutrino electron scattering in the standard model (SM) approach where I am not considering any kind of approximation (like ##q^2 << {M_W}^2## , ##m_e^2 \approx 0## etc ).

So my invariant amplitude is $$\mathcal{M} = \mathcal{M}_W + \mathcal{M}_Z$$ Hence,
\begin{align*}
|\mathcal{M}|^2 & = {\mathcal{M}}^*\mathcal{M} \\
& = (\mathcal{M}_W + \mathcal{M}_Z)^* (\mathcal{M}_W + \mathcal{M}_Z) \\
& = |\mathcal{M}_W|^2 + |\mathcal{M}_Z|^2 + 2{\mathcal{M}_W}^*\mathcal{M}_Z
\end{align*}

And
$$ \mathcal{M}_W = \frac{-g^2}{8} [\overline{\nu_e} (k^\prime) \gamma^\mu (1-\gamma^5) e(p)] \frac{g_{\mu\nu} - \frac{q_\mu q_\nu}{M_W^2}}{q^2-M_W^2} [\overline{e} (p^\prime) \gamma^\nu (1-\gamma^5) \nu_e(k)]$$
$$ \mathcal{M}_Z = \frac{-g^2}{8} [\overline{e} (p^\prime) \gamma^\mu (1-\gamma^5) e(p)] \frac{g_{\mu\nu} - \frac{q_\mu q_\nu}{M_Z^2}}{q^2-M_Z^2} [\overline{\nu_e} (k^\prime) \gamma^\nu (C_V- C_A\gamma^5) \nu_e(k)]$$

I asked my teacher and he said that I have to use Fierz Rearrangement (FR) and applying FR, I could make the ##\mathcal{M}_W## term much similar to the ##\mathcal{M}_Z## term by the expense of a minus sign.

But, Fierz Rearrangement is $$ \overline{\psi_1}\gamma^\mu (1-\gamma^5)\psi_2 \overline{\psi_3}\gamma_\mu (1-\gamma^5)\psi_4 = - \overline{\psi_3}\gamma^\mu (1-\gamma^5)\psi_2 \overline{\psi_1}\gamma_\mu (1-\gamma^5)\psi_4$$

Notice that in FR the same Lorentz index ##(\gamma^\mu and \gamma_\mu)## is in upper and lower position, but for my case, as I'm not omitting the term ##\frac{q_\mu q_\nu}{M_W^2}##, I will find one part of ##\mathcal{M}_W## to be with different Lorentz index ##(\gamma^\mu and \gamma^\nu)## both in the upper position, i.e,
\begin{align*}
\mathcal{M}_W = & -\frac{g^2}{8} [\overline{\nu_e} (k^\prime) \gamma^\mu (1-\gamma^5) e(p)] \frac{1}{q^2-M_W^2} [\overline{e} (p^\prime) \gamma_\mu (1-\gamma^5) \nu_e(k)] \\
& + \frac{g^2}{8} [\overline{\nu_e} (k^\prime) \gamma^\mu (1-\gamma^5) e(p)] \frac{q_\mu q_\nu}{M_W^2(q^2-M_W^2)} [\overline{e} (p^\prime) \gamma^\nu (1-\gamma^5) \nu_e(k)]
\end{align*}

So, How can I resolve this problem? I mean, How can I apply Fierz Rearrangement in this term?

*Nevertheless, though I can calculate the ##|\mathcal{M}_W|^2## and ##|\mathcal{M}_Z|^2## separately, I can not calculate the interference term ##2\mathcal{M}_W^*\mathcal{M}_Z## due to the same complication.

*Is there any Book or Paper on this problem? I found none. The renowned book by Gunti, "Fundamentals of Neutrino Physics and Astrophysics" also used the approximated approach where they approximate that ##q^2 << {M_W}^2,{M_Z}^2##, for which the second part doesn't appear in their calculation.I hope I described my problem clearly.

Physics news on Phys.org
The ##C_V## and ##C_A## in the ##\mathcal{M}_Z## should be in the electron-electron current, not in the neutrino-neutrino current. I did an unwanted mistake. But that's not what the problem is about.

1. What is neutrino electron scattering?

Neutrino electron scattering is a fundamental process in particle physics where a neutrino, a subatomic particle with very low mass and no electric charge, interacts with an electron, causing it to change direction and possibly transfer energy to or from the neutrino.

2. How is neutrino electron scattering studied?

Neutrino electron scattering is studied using high-energy particle accelerators, which produce beams of particles that can be directed towards a target containing a large number of electrons. By measuring the properties of the scattered electrons, scientists can infer information about the neutrinos that interacted with them.

3. What is the significance of studying neutrino electron scattering in the Standard Model approach?

The Standard Model is a highly successful theory that describes the fundamental particles and their interactions in the universe. By studying neutrino electron scattering within this framework, scientists can test the predictions of the Standard Model and search for any discrepancies or new physics that may lie beyond it.

4. What are the potential applications of understanding neutrino electron scattering?

Understanding neutrino electron scattering can have implications for a wide range of fields, including cosmology, astrophysics, and particle physics. It can also aid in the development of new technologies, such as neutrino detectors and neutrino-based communication systems.

5. What are the current challenges in studying neutrino electron scattering?

One of the main challenges in studying neutrino electron scattering is the extremely small cross-section of the interaction. This means that a large number of neutrinos and electrons are needed to produce measurable results. Additionally, neutrinos are notoriously difficult to detect and require specialized equipment and techniques.