Standard model says 17 particals, M theory says 18?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
rcx299
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi. I've only just started reading on M-theory. I'm otherwise a lay person so I'm going to have some basic questions. Here's my first.

Standard Model has 17 elementary particles right? But doesn't M-theory say there's 18? Or 36 if you include the symetrical ones. So am I missing one particle? Or are the theories talking about something different.

I can see that my book mentions the graviton, which isn't in the standard model, so maybe that's the difference?

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How many particles you get depends on exactly what you decide to count as one particle. For example, I assume you counted Z and W as different particles. Why then did you not count 8 gluons? This is something subjective and therefore not a very relevant part of how science is done.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: mfb