Standard Normal Dist Transformation

In summary, the question asks for the expected value, squared expected value, and variance of the standard normal distribution with the given probability density function. The expected value is found to be 0, the squared expected value is 1, and the variance is also 1. There is a follow-up question about finding the expected value and variance for the absolute value of the standard normal distribution. The transformation is straightforward, but the domain of y is unclear due to the absolute value. After some calculations, it is determined that the domain of y is y ≥ 0 and the expected value is 2/√(2π), while the variance is 1 - (2/√(2π))^2.
mrkb80

Homework Statement

The question ask to find [itex]E[X]; E[X^2]; Var(X)[/itex] for the standard normal distribution [itex]f(x)=1/\sqrt{2\pi}e^{-x^2/2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

I found
[itex]
\begin{align}
E[X]&=\int_{-\infty}^\infty \! x*1/\sqrt{2\pi}e^{-x^2/2} \, \mathrm{d} x\\
&=1/\sqrt{2\pi} ( \int_{-\infty}^0 \! x*e^{-x^2/2} \, \mathrm{d} x + \int_{0}^{\infty} \! x*e^{-x^2/2} \, \mathrm{d} x )\\
&= 1/\sqrt{2\pi} ( (-1-0) + (0+1) )\\
&= 0
\end{align}
[/itex]
I found [itex]E[X^2]=1[/itex]
and [itex]Var[X]=1[/itex]. So far no problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, I am asked to find the pdf, [itex]E[Y], Var[Y][/itex] of [itex]Y=|X|[/itex]
Since the inverse of [itex]Y=|X|[/itex] is [itex]X=|Y|[/itex] and the derivative of the inverse is 1. The transformation seems fairly straight forward.

[itex]f(y)=1/\sqrt{2\pi}e^{-|y|^2/2}[/itex]

I am just not sure about the domain of y, isn't it exactly the same as X because x is squared? Once I get that I should be able to use the same integration technique as above to find [itex]E[Y]; Var[Y][/itex] Wouldn't these values be exactly the same as [itex]E[X]; Var[X][/itex]? Something seems wrong here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mrkb80 said:
No, this can't be right. Y = |X|, so Y can never be negative. Therefore f(y) must be zero for negative y. Your f(y) does not have that property.

[edit] Just saw your remark about the domain. Right, so as I said, f(y) must be zero for negative y. However, you can't simply write
[tex]f(y) = \left\{ \begin{array}{lr}
1/\sqrt{2\pi}e^{-|y|^2/2} & y \geq 0 \\
0 & \text{otherwise}
\end{array} \right.[/tex]
because that function will not integrate to 1. But I'm sure you can fix that easily enough.

I guess then the inverse of [itex]Y=|X|[/itex] is not [itex]X=|Y|[/itex]. It must be something like
[itex] f(y) =1/\sqrt{2\pi}e^{-y^2/2} \, for \, y\geq0[/itex].Which I think means I'm only looking at half the distribution. The right half to be exact. Correct?

Last edited:
mrkb80 said:
I guess then the inverse of [itex]Y=|X|[/itex] is not [itex]X=|Y|[/itex]. It must be something like
[itex] f(y) =1/\sqrt{2\pi}e^{-y^2/2} \, for \, y\geq0[/itex].Which I think means I'm only looking at half the distribution. The right half to be exact. Correct?
Y = |X| doesn't have a (single-valued) inverse. For every nonzero value of Y, there are two values of X that give Y = |X|. You have to account for both of these. Hopefully you have seen an example of how to do this in your textbook or lecture?

mrkb80 said:
It must be something like
Yes, this is almost correct. However, because you chopped off the left half, it no longer integrates to 1. You have to re-scale it appropriately.

So I must have to multiply it by 2.
[itex]f(y) =2/\sqrt{2\pi}e^{-y^2/2} \, for \, y\geq0[/itex] ?

I don't really see how an absolute value transformation works for a distribution that isn't the standard normal.

I'm confused.

mrkb80 said:
So I must have to multiply it by 2.
[itex]f(y) =2/\sqrt{2\pi}e^{-y^2/2} \, for \, y\geq0[/itex] ?

I don't really see how an absolute value transformation works for a distribution that isn't the standard normal.

I'm confused.
Yes, in general it's a bit more complicated. Here it was easier because the standard normal is symmetric around zero. To see how it works in a somewhat more general case, consider what happens if you start with a normal distribution that has nonzero mean. There's an expression for the PDF here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folded_normal_distribution

Note that it simplifies to your result if [itex]\mu = 0[/itex].

If your book doesn't cover how to calculate the density function when the transformation is not one-to-one, you can read about it here (and I would also recommend finding a better book!)

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/teaching/2003/Probability/prob11.pdf

I do not like the main book, but I looked in the second book and I just realized how you would have to do it. You would need to break it up into parts that are monotone and add them together. Correct?

So if my integration is correct
[itex]
\begin{align}
E[Y]&=\int_0^\infty \! 2/\sqrt{2\pi}e^{-y^2/2} \, dy \\
&=2/\sqrt{2\pi} (-e^{-y^2/2}|_0^ \infty)\\
&=2/\sqrt{2\pi}
\end{align}
[/itex]

and
[itex]Var(Y)=1-2/\pi[/itex]

Edit: I saw where you posted the link to the folded normal. These answers are correct. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
mrkb80 said:

Homework Statement

The question ask to find [itex]E[X]; E[X^2]; Var(X)[/itex] for the standard normal distribution [itex]f(x)=1/\sqrt{2\pi}e^{-x^2/2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

I found
[itex]
\begin{align}
E[X]&=\int_{-\infty}^\infty \! x*1/\sqrt{2\pi}e^{-x^2/2} \, \mathrm{d} x\\
&=1/\sqrt{2\pi} ( \int_{-\infty}^0 \! x*e^{-x^2/2} \, \mathrm{d} x + \int_{0}^{\infty} \! x*e^{-x^2/2} \, \mathrm{d} x )\\
&= 1/\sqrt{2\pi} ( (-1-0) + (0+1) )\\
&= 0
\end{align}
[/itex]
I found [itex]E[X^2]=1[/itex]
and [itex]Var[X]=1[/itex]. So far no problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, I am asked to find the pdf, [itex]E[Y], Var[Y][/itex] of [itex]Y=|X|[/itex]
Since the inverse of [itex]Y=|X|[/itex] is [itex]X=|Y|[/itex] and the derivative of the inverse is 1. The transformation seems fairly straight forward.

I am just not sure about the domain of y, isn't it exactly the same as X because x is squared? Once I get that I should be able to use the same integration technique as above to find [itex]E[Y]; Var[Y][/itex] Wouldn't these values be exactly the same as [itex]E[X]; Var[X][/itex]? Something seems wrong here.

[tex] E|X| = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} |x| f(x) \, dx = 2 \int_0^{\infty} x f(x) \, dx.[/tex] This is not zero.

[tex]\text{Var}(|X|) = E(|X|^2) - (E|X|)^2 = E(X^2) -(E|X|)^2 = 1 - (E|X|)^2,[/tex] because EX2 is just the variance of X.

RGV

The absolute value threw me because the inverse is not monotone. The book does a horrible job of explaining how to handle this case and instead focuses on the fact that it must be strictly increasing or decreasing in the domain for the transformation to work.

I guess another way to think about this problem would be to split the absolute value into two parts.
[itex]\int_0^\infty \! yf(y) dy \, + \int_0^\infty \! yf(y) dy [/itex]
since Y=|X| if I put postive values into x, I get postive y's and if I put negative values into x I get the same postive y's (hence the 2 times or the sum of integrals). Since x is defined for [itex] -\infty \le x \le \infty [/itex] I must transform the entire domain, but you can see that when I do this I get only postive y's, so the domain of y must be [itex] y \geq 0 [/itex].

Thanks everyone for the help.

What is a standard normal distribution?

A standard normal distribution is a type of probability distribution that has a mean of 0 and a standard deviation of 1. It is often represented as a bell-shaped curve and is used to describe many natural phenomena, such as human height and IQ scores.

Why is standardization important in statistics?

Standardization, also known as normalization, is important in statistics because it allows for comparisons to be made between different sets of data. By converting data into a standard normal distribution, we can easily compare and analyze data that have different units or scales.

How is a standard normal distribution transformed?

A standard normal distribution can be transformed from any normal distribution by subtracting the mean and dividing by the standard deviation. This process is known as standardization or normalization.

What are the benefits of using a standard normal distribution?

One of the main benefits of using a standard normal distribution is that it simplifies many statistical calculations. It also allows for easier comparison and interpretation of data, as well as making it easier to identify outliers and extreme values.

What is the purpose of the standard normal transformation?

The purpose of the standard normal transformation is to convert data into a standard normal distribution, which simplifies statistical analysis and allows for comparisons to be made between different sets of data. It is also useful for identifying and dealing with outliers and extreme values in a dataset.