1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standing broad jump on the moon

1. Mar 3, 2008 #1
    i am having trouble with this exercise, i don't understand much and the professor doesn't explain too well so im kinda lost.

Consider a person on the moon who launches herself into a standing broad jump at 45 degrees. The average force generated during launching is, F = 2W and the distance over which this force acts is 60 cm. kindly compute:

a. The range of the jump
    b. The maximum height of the jump
    c. The duration of the jump
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure I understand what F=2W means. W could be watts but that's not a force that's a power unit. If you meant 2N as in Newtons then....

You still don't have enough information to solve the problem. You need the person's mass...consider if you push a 10 metric ton bus with a measly 2N over 60cm it is barely going to go anywhere but if you use a slingshot to do this with a small rock then you'll get a really long and high trajectory. Mass matters.

But assuming you have the mass then note that they give force and distance over which it acts. What quantity is force times distance? How does this relate to mass and velocity?

Also consider potential energy on the moon. Remember its surface acceleration is quite close to 1/6 earth's 9.8 m/s^2.
  4. Mar 3, 2008 #3
    thanks tho, i don't know thats what the exersice say. That profesor is crazy and i really don't understand anything.

Lets see what i can do
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?