1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standing wave with specific initial/boundary conditions

1. Apr 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"Solve the wave equation with the following initial conditions and boundary conditions."

2Y/∂x2 = 1/v2 * ∂2Y/∂t2

Boundary conditions:
    ∂Y/∂x(x=0, t)=0 and Y(x=L,t)=0

Initial Conditions:
    ∂Y/∂t(x, t=0) = 0
    Y(x,t=0) = δ(x-L/2)

2. Relevant equations

Using separation of variables:

Y(x,t) = X(x)*T(t)

X(x) = C*cos(kx/L) + D*sin(kx/L)
    T(t) = E*cos(wt) + F*sin(wt)

3. The attempt at a solution

So, I'm relatively familiar with this process but I have a couple of hangups relating to these specific initial conditions. First, the requirement that the partial of y with respect to x=0 at all times t (first boundary condition) seems, to me, to make a wave impossible. It gives D=0 AND C=0 OR k=0, but of course all of these are unsatisfactory solutions.

More analytically, it seems that requiring the slope to always be 0 at x=0 is really restricting that piece of the wave from moving. I'm just not sure how to handle it.

Moving past that though (I assumed y(x=0,t)=0 as my first boundary condition giving C=0), I'm also not sure how to handle the initial condition. The initial condition equation, x-L/2, has an integral of 0 when integrated from 0 to L. This makes sense since the expression has equal area above and below y=0, but I still don't know how to handle it in terms of getting an actual solution.

Just thinking out loud as I type this, does the delta in the expression indicate that I should be treating it as an absolute value equation so that all of it is forced to be above y=0?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2015 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The Boundary condition, ∂Y/∂x(x=0, t)=0, only makes D = 0 with no restriction on C.
    The other Boundary condition gives you k .

It's a standing wave. Right?

What are the conditions at nodes and at anti-nodes?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  4. Apr 30, 2015 #3
    Hey, thanks, that was exactly what I needed! I realized the first boundary condition only set D=0, but I erroneously was thinking that the second boundary condition gave C=0 when, in fact, you're right: it gives k.

I then applied the second initial condition in terms of absolute value, which I think is the correct way to go about it, and everything worked out.

Thanks again!

edit: and yes, it's a standing wave.

5. Apr 30, 2015 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're very welcome.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted