1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Star Observation Calculation Homework

1. Jun 11, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The intensity of the Sun's radiation is about 1380 Wm-2 at Earth's distance, 1.5x1011m. Earth absorbs this radiation as a black body, and radiates its own energy back into space.

a) How much Energy per second falls on the Earth's surface? (Diameter of Earth = 12800km)
    b) What temperature would Earth's surface need to be to radiate this much energy back into space (i.e equilibrium)
    c) Why is Earth's actual average surface temperature a bit higher than this
    d) Ceres, the largest asteroid, orbits around 4.1 x1011m from the sun:
    (i) What would be the Sun's intensity on Ceres
    (ii) Find the average temperature of its surface.
    2. Relevant equations
    P=AoT4 where o = 5.6697x10-8Js-1m-2 K-4
    I = P / 4 x pi x D2 where D is the distance from the star
    3. The attempt at a solution
    a) P = 1380 x 4pi x (1.5x1011)2
    don't think this is right...
    b) T = fourth root of P / 4pi x r2 x o
    c) global warming?? greenhouse effect??
    d) (i) Just use the ratio of Earth's distance : Ceres' distance, plug in the intensity
    (ii) Don't even know where to start, considering we don't have the radius...

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2015 #2
    Hi,
    I agree with you in the first question since energy/sec is just watt, so assuming the sun shine on the whole earth Pon earth = P*A
    Also does agree with 2, it's a straighforward application of stephan's law,
    Because It doesn't radiate all the energy that it absorbs due to something, maybe global warming and a small contribution go to heat the earth's surface
    And repeat the same scénario to answer the last two, good luck !

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  4. Jun 11, 2015 #3
    Hey there, My attempt at question 1 and 2 must be incorrect as I come out with a Power of 3.9x1026, and therefore a surface temperature of over 1million Kelvin which just isn't right??? HELP!!

5. Jun 11, 2015 #4
    No idea, we have no radius of ceres, maybe google it ?
    Just to correct one thing 1380 is the sun intensity at earth, so I = 1380, calculate P (You've done that), assume that R being the radius of ceres and for it to radiate back that energy into space then P = 4πR2*σ*T4, and solve for T

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted