Stars and electromagnetic waves/radiation

In summary, the conversation discusses the process and concept of how stars are able to produce electromagnetic waves or radiation. The conversation also delves into the use of electromagnetic waves in radio electronics and how it relates to stars. A suggested resource is provided for further understanding.
prime-factor

Homework Statement

I am just interested to learn how stars are able to produce electromagnetic waves/radiation (The PROCESS(es)).
I am into radio electronics , but have wondered how electromagnetic waves can be produced by stars. I guess 'why' is radiation given off, how is the energy converted from the original form of energy into electromagnetic radiation?. This fascinates me

Homework Equations

-Probably not important. I just want to understand the concept.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that a radio that transmits waves from an antenna in the form of electromagnetic waves, and this requires elements such as an oscillator, capacitor, inductor, resonance etc etc. I guess the star is like an antenna transmitting?, But how?? (what is the exact process for this , what must occur reaction wise for this to occur)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start at about 28 minutes in ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibePFvo22x4

The first part of the lecture is on Angular momentum, but at about 28:00 he starts talking about stars and energy and collapse. It might begin to give you an idea about where the engine for em radiation comes from.

Thankyou very much LowlyPion :smile:
That is a very good video. That professor explains very well the concepts.
It makes me want to learn even more about it :smile:

-prime factor-

Related to Stars and electromagnetic waves/radiation

1. How do stars emit electromagnetic waves/radiation?

Stars emit electromagnetic waves/radiation through a process called thermal radiation. This occurs when the extremely hot gases within a star vibrate and produce photons, which are then released into space as electromagnetic waves.

2. What types of electromagnetic waves/radiation are emitted by stars?

Stars emit a wide range of electromagnetic waves/radiation, including radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. The specific types and amounts of radiation emitted depend on the temperature and composition of the star.

3. Can we see all types of electromagnetic waves/radiation emitted by stars?

No, we can only see a small portion of the electromagnetic spectrum that includes visible light. Other types of radiation, such as X-rays and gamma rays, are not visible to the human eye and require specialized equipment to detect.

4. How do we use electromagnetic waves/radiation from stars to study them?

Scientists use telescopes equipped with different types of detectors to capture and analyze the electromagnetic waves/radiation emitted by stars. By studying the patterns and characteristics of the radiation, we can learn about the temperature, composition, and movement of stars.

5. Is electromagnetic radiation from stars harmful to us?

The electromagnetic radiation emitted by stars is generally not harmful to humans on Earth. The Earth's atmosphere acts as a shield, blocking most of the harmful radiation, such as X-rays and gamma rays, from reaching us. However, extended exposure to some types of radiation, such as ultraviolet radiation, can still be harmful to human health.