1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stars and electromagnetic waves/radiation

1. Jan 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am just interested to learn how stars are able to produce electromagnetic waves/radiation (The PROCESS(es)).
    I am in to radio electronics , but have wondered how electromagnetic waves can be produced by stars. I guess 'why' is radiation given off, how is the energy converted from the original form of energy into electromagnetic radiation?. This fascinates me

2. Relevant equations

-Probably not important. I just want to understand the concept.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that a radio that transmits waves from an antenna in the form of electromagnetic waves, and this requires elements such as an oscillator, capacitor, inductor, resonance etc etc. I guess the star is like an antenna transmitting?, But how?? (what is the exact process for this , what must occur reaction wise for this to occur)
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2009 #2

Homework Helper

Start at about 28 minutes in ...

The first part of the lecture is on Angular momentum, but at about 28:00 he starts talking about stars and energy and collapse. It might begin to give you an idea about where the engine for em radiation comes from.
  4. Jan 21, 2009 #3
    Thankyou very much LowlyPion :smile:
    That is a very good video. That professor explains very well the concepts.
    It makes me want to learn even more about it :smile:

-prime factor-
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?