Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Stars and electromagnetic waves/radiation

1. Jan 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am just interested to learn how stars are able to produce electromagnetic waves/radiation (The PROCESS(es)).
    I am in to radio electronics , but have wondered how electromagnetic waves can be produced by stars. I guess 'why' is radiation given off, how is the energy converted from the original form of energy into electromagnetic radiation?. This fascinates me

2. Relevant equations

-Probably not important. I just want to understand the concept.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that a radio that transmits waves from an antenna in the form of electromagnetic waves, and this requires elements such as an oscillator, capacitor, inductor, resonance etc etc. I guess the star is like an antenna transmitting?, But how?? (what is the exact process for this , what must occur reaction wise for this to occur)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Start at about 28 minutes in ...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibePFvo22x4

The first part of the lecture is on Angular momentum, but at about 28:00 he starts talking about stars and energy and collapse. It might begin to give you an idea about where the engine for em radiation comes from.

4. Jan 21, 2009 #3
    Thankyou very much LowlyPion :smile:
    That is a very good video. That professor explains very well the concepts.
    It makes me want to learn even more about it :smile:

-prime factor-

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook