Stars with 6 legs in seawater aquarium

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
Science Advisor
Messages
6,424
Reaction score
1,006
Recently I visited a sea water aquarium with tropical fish anemona, corals. At the glas walls I observed little (about 1 cm diameter) white stars with 6 legs.
Now starfish have 5 legs, as far as I know.
Any idea what this could have been?
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Sea stars mostly have 5 "arms" or "legs". Some have more - up to 40 arms.
The sun star can have 40:

http://0.tqn.com/d/marinelife/1/0/C/5/-/-/Sunflowerstar-500x3750-Patrickbriggsflickr.jpg
 
Thank you all very much for the info. I didn't know that there is so much variability in the number of arms in starfish. The ones I saw resembled very much Asterina species which are described in several aquaristic forums, like here:
http://reefkeepingfever.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12
 
Last edited by a moderator: