Start a Salsa Garden in VA: Tips & Resources

• Thread starter DavidSnider
  • Start date
  • Tags
    garden
In summary: It appears from the article that it's hard to grow the plant, since it's easily stressed into producing seeds? It likes full sun and moist soil. Do you know what kind of conditions it likes to grow in? Maybe I should research it a bit before I invest in it.It looks like it would be a good idea to grow it in containers, since it may be susceptible to blight?It looks like it would be a good idea to grow it in containers, since it may be susceptible to blight?Yes, David. I grow jalapeno peppers in containers and one bush will always have at least 30 jalapenos on it.
DavidSnider
Gold Member
I'm planning on starting a salsa garden to make fresh salsa this year. My garden has nine 4'x4' beds and is located in Virginia. I know we have some people on this forum that do this and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on what to put in it and how many of each plant to grow. Also links to any sites or books you've found helpful would be nice too.

Physics news on Phys.org
DavidSnider said:
I'm planning on starting a salsa garden to make fresh salsa this year. My garden has nine 4'x4' beds and is located in Virginia. I know we have some people on this forum that do this and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on what to put in it and how many of each plant to grow. Also links to any sites or books you've found helpful would be nice too.

mmmmm I'm salivating just thinking about fresh salsa!

Cilantro, onions and one or two tomato plants and/or pepper plants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salsa_(sauce )

One could add garlic, but one has to plant cloves in the fall, just around the first frost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey David, the number of plants depends on if you want enough to make fresh salsas throughout the growing season or if you want to can it (no longer fresh).

I grow jalapenos in containers and one bush will always have at least 30 jalapenos on it, in the garden you'd probably get a larger yield.

If you plan to plant cilantro, you will have trouble, it bolts quickly in warm weather, which means it goes to seed and is no longer cilantro, it's corriander.

If you want to do canning, turbo can help, he does a lot of canning.

Yeah, on second thought I'd probably rather do canning.

Does anybody have a good source of information on how to estimate plant yields and what the spacings for the plants should be?

Salsa is fun. Just remember that as you process your ingredients, you need to slightly undercook them. The canning process softens your ingredients more, and you don't want mush. I can't manage to get a fresh-salsa taste and feel with store-bought ingredients, but my canned stuff is way better than the commercial stuff.

DavidSnider said:
Yeah, on second thought I'd probably rather do canning.

Does anybody have a good source of information on how to estimate plant yields and what the spacings for the plants should be?
Hard to tell, David. Some years are really good, and some go bust. I always plant more tomato plants than I think I'll need. Same with peppers. Bad weather and blight can wreck your plans. Good luck.

Evo said:
Hey David, the number of plants depends on if you want enough to make fresh salsas throughout the growing season or if you want to can it (no longer fresh).

I grow jalapenos in containers and one bush will always have at least 30 jalapenos on it, in the garden you'd probably get a larger yield.
It may be a good idea to put tomatoes and peppers in containers, as Evo suggested, in order to mitigate blight.

Astronuc said:
It may be a good idea to put tomatoes and peppers in containers, as Evo suggested, in order to mitigate blight.
And never plant tomatoes near potatoes! They are both susceptible to blight. Potatoes are cheap. Home grown tomatoes are priceless. If one crop gets late blight, you will probably lose the other.

Last edited:
David, is this your first garden?

Evo said:
David, is this your first garden?
Yes it is.

Evo said:
If you plan to plant cilantro, you will have trouble, it bolts quickly in warm weather, which means it goes to seed and is no longer cilantro, it's corriander.
Only if you are in the US, linguistically cilantro is the spanish name for coriander. I sounds strange if you say it's no longer cilantro, but changes to coriander :smile: I've tried to grow coriander two times, by purchasing bunches with roots. The first I directly potted and it died, the second I put on water and it died as well. It's my favorite herb, when spring comes I'll to to sprout some seeds.

Monique said:
Only if you are in the US, linguistically cilantro is the spanish name for coriander. I sounds strange if you say it's no longer cilantro, but changes to coriander :smile:
You're absolutely correct, but it just seemed easier to make the distinction that what we call "cilantro" is just a phase of the coriander plant.

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/herbs/cilantro/cilantro-bolting.htm

The naming is still confusing, both the herb and spice are coriander (leaves vs seeds) and there are also cilantro seeds. But then languages never appeared logical to me, so never mind.

It appears from the article that it's hard to grow the plant, since it's easily stressed into producing seeds? Do you know what kind of conditions it likes to grow in? Maybe I should research it a bit before attempting to grow it..

Monique said:
The naming is still confusing, both the herb and spice are coriander (leaves vs seeds) and there are also cilantro seeds. But then languages never appeared logical to me, so never mind.
This article says the distinction doesn't even exist in the UK.

http://www.squidoo.com/coriander-cilantro

It appears from the article that it's hard to grow the plant, since it's easily stressed into producing seeds? Do you know what kind of conditions it likes to grow in? Maybe I should research it a bit before attempting to grow it..
Cool and moist.

1. How do I start a salsa garden in Virginia?

To start a salsa garden in Virginia, you will need to choose a suitable location with plenty of sunlight and well-draining soil. You can either plant seeds or purchase seedlings from a local nursery. Make sure to include a variety of vegetables and herbs such as tomatoes, peppers, onions, cilantro, and garlic. It's also important to regularly water and fertilize your plants to ensure healthy growth.

2. What are the best vegetables and herbs to grow in a salsa garden?

The best vegetables and herbs to grow in a salsa garden are those that are used in traditional salsa recipes. This includes tomatoes, peppers, onions, cilantro, and garlic. You can also experiment with other ingredients such as tomatillos, jalapenos, and different types of peppers to add a unique twist to your salsa.

3. When is the best time to start a salsa garden in Virginia?

The best time to start a salsa garden in Virginia is in the spring, after the last frost has passed. This is typically around mid-April. You can also start your garden in the fall, but keep in mind that the growing season will be shorter.

4. What are some common challenges when growing a salsa garden in Virginia?

Some common challenges when growing a salsa garden in Virginia include extreme weather conditions, pests, and diseases. To combat these challenges, it's important to choose disease-resistant plants, use natural pest control methods, and protect your plants during extreme weather events.

5. Are there any resources or tips specifically for growing a salsa garden in Virginia?

Yes, there are several resources and tips specifically for growing a salsa garden in Virginia. You can consult with your local cooperative extension office for specific planting and care guidelines for your area. There are also many online resources and gardening forums where you can get advice and tips from experienced gardeners in Virginia.