1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Starting a BME program in August - Math and physics review?

1. May 16, 2015 #1
    Hey guys,

I was an average physics major as an undergrad who entered medical school. I graduated from undergrad about 4 years ago and have been inundated with medicine since then - so I haven't had much of a chance to review old mathematics and physics. I will be starting an MS in BME in August so I'm wondering what I can do.

Could someone please direct me to the proper books or topics I should review before starting in August?

Currently, I am going through:

Math Methods in Physical Science by Boas (because this was the book we used in undergrad)

I was also considering going through some problems in Halliday and Resnick Physics - the high school text - and Mechanics by Morin.

Any help is greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. May 24, 2015 #3
    Have a look at the Schaum's outlines series. They're not so much designed to teach you the subject as to serve as a point of reference and problem bank.

I'd recommend the "Advanced Mathematics for Engineers and Scientists" in particular, as it covers basically any maths you could possibly need (all the usual calculus, differential equations and matrix algebra plus Laplace and Fourier transforms, various special functions including Gamma, Bessel and Legendre functions, complex variables, and the calculus of variations.). If you can happily do most of the calculus/vector analysis/differential equations/matrices questions then you'll be in pretty good form. you might want to spend some time reviewing the Fourier series and integral sections as I think this comes up in BME a fair bit, but I can't say for sure (I'm in EE).

They also have a few different physics outlines but I don't really know how good they are as I haven't used those.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook