Starting an electronic design company

In summary, you should start a company that designs products for the automotive tuner industry. You don't need an automated smd placing machine, but you may need startup capital.
david90
I want to start a company that design products for the automotive tuner industry. The kind of products that I want to focus on are LED/lighting related controller products. How much money do I need to start this company and can I get away with not having an automated smd placing machine?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the startup capital would depend on too many factors for us to know. If you or your employees are willing to work for free for a while, they can be quite low.

You do not need to have your own board stuffing machines; in fact, I would recommend that you not do your own board stuffing. Instead, find a shop in your area that will assemble and wave-solder your boards.

- Warren

The common terms "LED lighting" and "automotive" are orthogonal, IMO, but I could be missing something, obviously (hence your startup!). Please read through this basic link, and work on the "business plan" part of the wiki entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Startup_company

Writing your business plan (no matter what form it ends up taking) will help you to make your vision a reality (hopefully). Best of luck, and work hard!

why would you want to get into such a saturated market?

ice109 said:
why would you want to get into such a saturated market?

The LED Lighting market is very young, and ripe for innovation (there's not much more that I can say without multiple lawyers pouncing on top of me and beating me sensless, well, with limp hands, but trying their best :rolleyes: ). The automotive market is pretty much saturated with ideas and innovators ahead of us...

I went out with a lawyer last night. It was our first date, so it is probably too soon to be making jokes about her hands, but that's a joke that just about writes itself... :biggrin:

1. What qualifications do I need to start an electronic design company?

In order to start an electronic design company, you will need a strong background in engineering and/or computer science. A degree in a related field, such as electrical engineering or computer engineering, is highly recommended. Additionally, having experience working in the industry and a solid understanding of electronic design principles and technology will also be beneficial.

2. What equipment and resources do I need to start an electronic design company?

Starting an electronic design company will require a significant investment in equipment and resources. This may include computer-aided design (CAD) software, circuit board prototyping equipment, and various testing tools. You may also need to secure a dedicated workspace and develop partnerships with suppliers for electronic components.

3. How do I attract clients to my electronic design company?

To attract clients to your electronic design company, you will need to establish a strong online presence through a professional website and social media platforms. Networking with potential clients and industry professionals, as well as showcasing your expertise through speaking engagements and publications, can also help attract clients. Additionally, providing high-quality services and building a strong reputation through satisfied clients will also be key in attracting new business.

4. How do I handle the financial aspects of starting an electronic design company?

Starting any business requires careful financial planning and management. It is important to create a detailed business plan that outlines your budget, projected expenses, and potential revenue streams. You may also need to secure funding through loans, investors, or crowdfunding platforms. It is also recommended to consult with a financial advisor or accountant to ensure your business is financially stable and compliant with all regulations.

5. What are the potential challenges of starting an electronic design company?

Like any business, starting an electronic design company will have its challenges. Some potential challenges may include fierce competition from established companies, constantly evolving technology and industry standards, and securing enough clients to sustain the business. It is important to stay up-to-date with industry developments and continuously adapt your services to meet the needs of clients in order to overcome these challenges.