Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Starting an electronic design company

1. Aug 20, 2007 #1
    I want to start a company that design products for the automotive tuner industry. The kind of products that I want to focus on are LED/lighting related controller products. How much money do I need to start this company and can I get away with not having an automated smd placing machine?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2007 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think the startup capital would depend on too many factors for us to know. If you or your employees are willing to work for free for a while, they can be quite low.

You do not need to have your own board stuffing machines; in fact, I would recommend that you not do your own board stuffing. Instead, find a shop in your area that will assemble and wave-solder your boards.

- Warren

4. Aug 20, 2007 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The common terms "LED lighting" and "automotive" are orthogonal, IMO, but I could be missing something, obviously (hence your startup!). Please read through this basic link, and work on the "business plan" part of the wiki entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Startup_company

Writing your business plan (no matter what form it ends up taking) will help you to make your vision a reality (hopefully). Best of luck, and work hard!

5. Aug 20, 2007 #4
    why would you want to get into such a saturated market?

6. Aug 20, 2007 #5

berkeman

The LED Lighting market is very young, and ripe for innovation (there's not much more that I can say without multiple lawyers pouncing on top of me and beating me sensless, well, with limp hands, but trying their best :rolleyes: ). The automotive market is pretty much saturated with ideas and innovators ahead of us....

7. Aug 20, 2007 #6

russ_watters

I went out with a lawyer last night. It was our first date, so it is probably too soon to be making jokes about her hands, but that's a joke that just about writes itself... :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?