Starting Hydraulics Recommendations?

• Thread starter microbiek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hydraulics
In summary: Essentials of Engineering Hydraulics by J M K Dake has more english and less maths than most, although you will eventually need the maths.
microbiek
Hi,

We've just started studying hydraulics at my uni. I'm finding the lecturer is going way to
fast and was just wondering if anyone knows of a good hydraulics book that introduces you to the basic principles and concepts? I was in our library the other day an the books there semed to presume you had the basics...it felt as if they were missing something.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Engineering news on Phys.org
microbiek said:
Hi,

We've just started studying hydraulics at my uni. I'm finding the lecturer is going way to
fast and was just wondering if anyone knows of a good hydraulics book that introduces you to the basic principles and concepts? I was in our library the other day an the books there semed to presume you had the basics...it felt as if they were missing something.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Doesn't the course require or recommend a text?

CS

yes it recommend "Urban Drainage, Butler & Davies (E & FN Spon). " whch is fine for half the course the second half... but i need something for an introduction to the basics etc.

microbiek said:
yes it recommend "Urban Drainage, Butler & Davies (E & FN Spon). " whch is fine for half the course the second half... but i need something for an introduction to the basics etc.

Basic hydraulics would most likely be covered in your Physics book and also most Fluid Mechanics books.

CS

yea its a bit like any other subject but structural analysis is covered a lot better in some books than others...im looking for the name of a book that covers the intro to hydraulics well although I've only looked at abou 3 or 4 books I've found them lacking in coherence

Essentials of Engineering Hydraulics by J M K Dake
has more english and less maths than most, although you will eventually need the maths.

Related to Starting Hydraulics Recommendations?

1. What is a hydraulic system?

A hydraulic system is a type of power transmission system that uses pressurized fluid to transfer energy and operate different mechanical components. It typically consists of a pump, control valves, actuators, and fluid reservoirs.

2. What are the advantages of using hydraulics?

Hydraulics offer high power density, precise control, and the ability to transmit power over long distances. They also have a wide range of applications, from heavy machinery to small tools, and are relatively easy to maintain.

3. What factors should be considered when selecting hydraulic components?

The most important factors to consider when selecting hydraulic components include the required flow rate, pressure, and temperature, as well as the type of fluid, compatibility with other components, and the specific application or environment in which the system will be used.

4. How can I ensure the safety and reliability of my hydraulic system?

To ensure the safety and reliability of a hydraulic system, it is essential to use high-quality components, follow recommended maintenance schedules, and regularly check for leaks or damage. It is also important to train operators on proper usage and safety procedures.

5. Are there any alternative methods to hydraulics?

Yes, there are alternative methods to hydraulics, such as pneumatic systems that use compressed air instead of fluid. Electric systems are also becoming more popular, especially in smaller applications, due to their lower maintenance requirements and energy efficiency.