1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Starting Limits HW Supposedly Easy

1. Sep 7, 2011 #1
    Just started learning limits today but I got stuck on this last problem...

Let f be the function given by f(x)=lnx/x for all x>0

Find lim f(x) as x-->0+

So I graphed the equation and plugged in points approaching zero on the right side but it seems to go on for infinity. Is the limit infinity? is that possible?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. In fact it goes to -∞.

4. Sep 7, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Uh, no, the limit is neither [itex]\infty[/itex] nor [itex]-\infty[/itex]. The limit, as x goes to 0, of ln(x) is [itex]-\infty[/itex] (which may be what LCKurtz meant) but that x in the denominator makes the limit 0. x goes to [itex]\infty[/itex] "faster" than ln(x) goes to [itex]-\infty[/itex].

5. Sep 7, 2011 #4
    Awesome, thanks for the help guys. That clears things up. Oh and this doesn't have anything to do with limits, but how do you do the custom equations thing that makes the math equations on this site look so clean and wonderful.

6. Sep 7, 2011 #5

gb7nash

Homework Helper

I don't follow this. If we're talking about:

[tex]\frac{ln(x)}{x}[/tex]

As x -> 0+, the numerator approaches -inf and the denominator approaches +0, so you should obtain -inf?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  7. Sep 7, 2011 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The limit is -∞. x → 0 in the denominator giving a -∞/0+ form.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook