• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Starting the Path to becoming a Theoretical/Astrophysicist from Middle School

Alright, thanks Kevin.

Anybody else have any advice?

I honestly think you are getting ahead of yourself for Grade 8. It is really good that you're thinking about it but you won't have to make a decision in four years, that's 1/3-1/3.5 of the entire time you've lived. Just learn Mathematics and Science that is in your reach and you'll get what you want. I want to be a High Energy Physicist/Cosmologist and I'm in Grade 11. I do research and learn constantly but I do it for enjoyment not because I have to do it to become a Cosmologist or High Energy Physicist.

I honestly think you are getting ahead of yourself for Grade 8. It is really good that you're thinking about it but you won't have to make a decision in four years, that's 1/3-1/3.5 of the entire time you've lived. Just learn Mathematics and Science that is in your reach and you'll get what you want. I want to be a High Energy Physicist/Cosmologist and I'm in Grade 11. I do research and learn constantly but I do it for enjoyment not because I have to do it to become a Cosmologist or High Energy Physicist.
I'm pretty sure YOU ARE the one getting ahead of yourself... You're talking about "basic" calculus, when you aren't even in calculus!

The best thing you can do now is in your math and science courses, try to really stand out amongst your peers with test scores and grades. Also don't be the kid that brags about if you are, nobody likes that kid. Do well in other classes as well, then during your free time at this point, really try to do some outside of class stuff. It will really help for getting into a good undergrad program. Other than that enjoy the rest of middle school and then all the way through high school. The workload picks up quite a bit and for grad school (so I've heard, I'm still in undergrad) it is even more. Tennis is great along with Viola, keep those two things going if you enjoy them. If you do have a chance to join some clubs in high school or sports that you would enjoy, DO NOT skip them for having more time to study more than you really need to. In high school being involved in more activities outside of class will benifit you in the long run and also you will also have a good time.

Also I'm sure everyone here has mentioned, until you have taken course at an undergraduate level at least, lock yourself into one subfield at one school. Just say that Physics is something I want to look into further or even something you want to study for a living.

I'm pretty sure YOU ARE the one getting ahead of yourself... You're talking about "basic" calculus, when you aren't even in calculus!
I'm not necessarily sure what point you are trying to address since I already have the mathematical grounding to understand calculus where as the original poster doesn't. It is quite simple to learn calculus without taking the course, but it's clear that you conform to the standard procedures of education - being taught. Self-education isn't a complexity and can easily be achieved by anyone. When I'm saying getting ahead of yourself I was concerning his idea that he must prepare to become an astrophysicist in grade 8. This is obviously unrealistic and your comment was unnecessary.

Last edited:
http://www.siemens-foundation.org/en/

That's the Siemens corp scholarship/competition thing. Almost identical to the Intel STS, I believe. I was going to enter it, but deadline passed. Meh, I didn't spend enough time on the thing anyway, among other things that deterred me from entering, like wasting the judges' time xD....

Check this forum's "Books" subform.

You made an error in your first post. You test score is excellent for you age; however, just don't tell people your tests scores. Humility goes a long way. (I know you just wanted to gauge yourself to whatever standard you think exists for your age; for future reference, then!)

Here is a topic in computer science you might be interested in: "Perlin Noise." You won't understand terribly much of it initially, but come back to it after a year and see how you've progressed.

I second (or third, or fourth'd) this book: Serge Lang's "Basic Mathematics"

*edit* Link for perlin noise page: http://freespace.virgin.net/hugo.elias/models/m_perlin.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
do you think I could read and understand Calculus and Pizza (I'm in a gifted program, we are basically doing the 10th grade math course).. Same question for Basic Mathmatics.
I think you can if you want. The important thing here is not to overstress yourself, but at the same time, don't stop yourself from doing what you think is fun. If you enjoy learning math, then there are a lot of books that you can use to teach yourself calculus, but don't press yourself too hard if it stops being fun.

Keeping science and math fun and interesting is something that you'll have to learn to do.