Starting the Sander's Parallelogram Proof

In summary, the conversation is about trying to prove the Sander's Parallelogram and figuring out what initial conditions are needed for the proof. It is mentioned that the bisectors need to be of equal length and there may be a relationship between the length of the two top sides. However, it is also mentioned that the only necessary condition for a Sander's Parallelogram is that the two diagonals are equal. The conversation concludes with the realization that there is no need for a proof and that the best way to understand the concept is to try constructing one oneself.
fishspawned
Can anyone help me set this problem up?

I am trying to figure out how to Prove the Sander's Parallelogram.

See it here:
http://www.tigel.nl/fun/files/opticals/Ill...ith_line-25.htm

basically it is proving that the bisectors are of equal length

The question is: what would be needed to be established first in order to properly put together a proof? Are they a specific size? is there a relationship between the length of the two top sides? Any help would be great.

I don't need the proof - I am certain I can figure it out, but I would like a leg up on figuring out what would need to be established before starting to work it out.

many thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes JamesMaths
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think I should clarify what I am trying to do. I do not wish to construct the parallelogram. I want to be able to set up the initial conditions by which I could then ask someone to prove that the two bisectors are equal. By this I mean a standard two column mathematical proof.

I do know, after playing around that, as you can see from the image below, that AB is twice as big as BC. but beyond that, what else would one need to know?

many thanks with the help so far.

Math1101600b_zps6478b4e0.jpg

fishspawned said:
I do not wish to construct the parallelogram. I want to be able to set up the initial conditions by which I could then ask someone to prove that the two bisectors are equal.

But these two problems are equivalent - if you know how to construct the parallelogram you know what needs to be specified that means that the two diagonals are equal.

fishspawned said:
I do know, after playing around that, as you can see from the image below, that AB is twice as big as BC.

That may be true for the example you have chosen, but it is not a necessary condition for the two diagonals to be equal - do an image search for Sander's Parallelogram and you will see examples of all sorts of shapes.

So what rules do all such parallelograms follow? The best way to find out is to try constructing one yourself, either starting with any equilateral triangle and constructing a parallelogram around it, or starting with any parallelogram and constrcting an equilateral triangle within it. Because you can do this whatever shape you start off with, the only "initial conditions" that are sufficient to specify a Sander Parallelogram are that the two diagonals are equal! I'm afraid your quest for something to "prove" is futile.

What is the Sander's Parallelogram Proof?

The Sander's Parallelogram Proof is a mathematical proof used to prove the properties of parallelograms. It was developed by mathematician Herbert Sander in the 1970s.

Why is the Sander's Parallelogram Proof important?

The Sander's Parallelogram Proof is important because it provides a clear and concise way to prove the properties of parallelograms, which are used in many areas of mathematics and real-world applications.

What are the steps to starting the Sander's Parallelogram Proof?

The first step in starting the Sander's Parallelogram Proof is to draw a diagram of the parallelogram and label the sides and angles. Then, identify the properties that need to be proven. Finally, use the properties and given information to construct the proof.

What are some common mistakes when starting the Sander's Parallelogram Proof?

Some common mistakes when starting the Sander's Parallelogram Proof include not accurately labeling the sides and angles of the parallelogram, not correctly identifying the properties to be proven, and not using the correct properties in the proof.

How can I improve my understanding of the Sander's Parallelogram Proof?

To improve your understanding of the Sander's Parallelogram Proof, it is important to practice constructing proofs and using the properties of parallelograms in different scenarios. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor if you are struggling with the concept.