1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Starting with Spivak - question

1. Feb 28, 2015 #1
    Hey, I'm just starting out with calculus and am giving the Spivak book a try per threads on here. In the introduction to functions chapter spivak defines a function f(x) =x^2. for all x such that -17 ≤ x ≤ π/3
    Then says you should be able to check the following assertion about the function defined above:

f(x+1) = f(x) + 2x + 1 if -17 ≤ x ≤ (π/3) - 1

I don't understand why there a negative one is now needed at the end of the domain

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2015 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

-18 ≤ x ≤ (π/3) - 1 is the domain of f(x+1)
    -17 ≤ x ≤ (π/3) is the domain of f(x)
    -17 ≤ x ≤ (π/3) - 1 is the domain the two share

edit:to correct error

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  4. Feb 28, 2015 #3
    thanks for your reply,

That doesn't make sense to me.

My incorrect thinking goes like this..

What is f(x+1) actually saying? To me its saying: apply the function f (which is to square) to the domain x (defined above) +1..making the domain of f(x+1) -16 to π/3 + 1

5. Mar 1, 2015 #4
    Shouldn't the domain of f(x+1) be -18 ≤ x ≤ (π/3) - 1??

6. Mar 1, 2015 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The graph y = f(x + 1) is the graph of y = f(x) shifted (translated) one unit to the left. Since the domain of y = f(x) is -17 ≤ x ≤ π/3, the domain of y = f(x + 1) will be -18 ≤ x ≤ π/3 - 1. IOW, the original interval shifted one unit to the left.

Forget the weird domain for a moment. You know what the graph of y = f(x) = x2 looks like, right? The graph of y = g(x) = f(x + 1) is a parabola the opens up, and whose vertex is at (-1, 0). Every point on the shifted parabola is one unit to the left of its corresponding point on the graph of y = f(x).

Yes, which is different from what you said above.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook