1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stat. Phys. : Renormalization Group and scaling hypothesis

1. Jan 29, 2012 #1
    Hello everyone,

I am currently studying the renorm. group in Stat. physics, more precisely how a rescaling (of space) leaves the partition function unchanged, at the price of having an infinite space of parameters due to the interaction proliferation at each rescaling.

Let K be our infinite parameters vector and R[itex]_{b}[/itex] the application sending K to R[itex]_{b}[/itex]K after a rescaling of a factor b.

Let K[itex]_{0}[/itex] be a fixed point, i.e. such that K[itex]_{0}[/itex]=R[itex]_{b}[/itex]K[itex]_{0}[/itex].

Now on the problem itself: let K[itex]^{(n)}[/itex]=K[itex]_{0}[/itex] + δ[itex]^{(n)}[/itex] be our parameters vector at the nth rescaling step, where δ[itex]^{(n)}[/itex] is infinitesimal, this implies that (via a Taylor development)

δ[itex]^{(n+1)}[/itex] = J[itex]_{b}[/itex] δ[itex]^{(n)}[/itex] where J[itex]_{b}[/itex] is the jacobian matrix associated to R[itex]_{b}[/itex] evaluated in K[itex]_{0}[/itex] .

Let λ[itex]_{i}[/itex] be the eigenvalues of J[itex]_{b}[/itex] .

We then have the property that, in the associated orthogonal eigenvectors basis the i-th component of δ[itex]^{(n+1)}[/itex] = λ[itex]_{i}[/itex]
    δ[itex]^{(n)}[/itex] i-th component.

I would like to prove that λ[itex]_{i}[/itex]= b[itex]^{y_i}[/itex] with [itex]{y_i}[/itex] independent of b (so that the Renormalization group proves the scaling hypothesis).

It is clear that performing two times a rescaling with factor b or one with factor [itex]b^2[/itex] is equivalent, and therefore δ[itex]^{(n+2)}[/itex]=[itex]J_{b^2}δ^{(n)}[/itex] = [itex](J_b)^2 δ^{(n)}[/itex]

However I can not manage to get rid of the fact that the eigenvectors of [itex]J_{b^2}[/itex] are not the same as those of [itex]J_b[/itex]. I tried performing a change of basis, but it did not help, so I hope someone out here will be able and willing to : )

Have a nice day,

Nohman

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2012 #2
    Ok so the answer came to me, from

[itex] (J_{b^2} -J_b^2)\delta^{(n)}=0 [/itex]

we deduce, due to the arbitrariness of δ that both operators are equal and therefore share the same eigenvalues, i.e omitting an index

[itex] \lambda_{b^2}=\lambda_b^2 \Rightarrow b^{2y(b^2)}= b^{2y(b)}[/itex]

which implies that y is indeed a constant function.

Thank you to anyone who has thought about this problem

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook