Statement about topology of subsets of a metric space.

In summary, the closed subset in a metric space is the boundary of an open subset if and only if it has empty interior.
mahler1
Homework Statement .

Prove that a closed subset in a metric space ##(X,d)## is the boundary of an open subset if and only if it has empty interior.

The attempt at a solution.
I got stuck in both implications:
##\implies## Suppose ##F## is a closed subspace with ##F=\partial S## for some open subset ##S## of ##(X,d)##. I want to show that ##F^°=\emptyset##. So, let ##x \in F^°##. Then, there is ##\delta## : ##B(x,\delta) \subset F##. But then, ##B(x,\delta) \subset \partial S##, which means there is ##y \in B(x,\delta) \cap S^c## and there is ##z \in B(x,\delta) \cap S##. I couldn't go farther than this.

For the other implication, I need some help too. If ##F^°## is empty, then, for every ##x \in F## and every ##\delta>0##, ##B(x,\delta) \cap F^c \neq \emptyset##. As ##F## is closed, ##F^c## is open. I want to show that ##F=\partial F^c##, we've just seen that ##F \subset \partial F^c##. Now, let ##x \in \partial F^c##, then, for every ##n \in \mathbb N##, there is ##y_n \in B(x, \dfrac{1}{n}) \cap F##. But this means ##x## is a limit point of ##F##, as ##F## is closed ## \implies## ##x \in F##. I've proved ##\partial F^c \subset F##. This proves
##F=\partial F^c##, which means ##F## is the boundary of an open subset.

Could anyone suggest me how to prove the forward implication? Is the other one correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
mahler1 said:
Homework Statement .

Prove that a closed subset in a metric space ##(X,d)## is the boundary of an open subset if and only if it has empty interior.

The attempt at a solution.
I got stuck in both implications:
##\implies## Suppose ##F## is a closed subspace with ##F=\partial S## for some open subset ##S## of ##(X,d)##. I want to show that ##F^°=\emptyset##. So, let ##x \in F^°##. Then, there is ##\delta## : ##B(x,\delta) \subset F##. But then, ##B(x,\delta) \subset \partial S##, which means there is ##y \in B(x,\delta) \cap S^c## and there is ##z \in B(x,\delta) \cap S##.

I couldn't go farther than this.

If [itex]S[/itex] is open then it contains no boundary points, so [itex]F \subset X \setminus S[/itex]. Thus [itex]F^{\circ} \subset (X \setminus S)^{\circ}[/itex]. Is an interior point of [itex]X \setminus S[/itex] a limit point of [itex]S[/itex]?

Likes 1 person
pasmith said:
If [itex]S[/itex] is open then it contains no boundary points, so [itex]F \subset X \setminus S[/itex]. Thus [itex]F^{\circ} \subset (X \setminus S)^{\circ}[/itex]. Is an interior point of [itex]X \setminus S[/itex] a limit point of [itex]S[/itex]?

I don't see why an interior point of [itex]X \setminus S[/itex] would have to be a limit point of [itex]S[/itex]. For example, if I consider ##S=(0,1)##, then ##10 \in {S^c}^{\circ}## but ##10## is not a limit point of ##S##.

Last edited:
mahler1 said:
I don't see why an interior point of [itex]X \setminus S[/itex] would have to be a limit point of [itex]S[/itex]. For example, if I consider ##S=(0,1)##, then ##10 \in {S^c}^{\circ}## but ##10## is not a limit point of ##S##.

So is the answer to the question "Is an interior point of [itex]X \setminus S[/itex] a limit point of [itex]S[/itex]?" going to be "sometimes" or "never"?

Likes 1 person
pasmith said:
So is the answer to the question "Is an interior point of [itex]X \setminus S[/itex] a limit point of [itex]S[/itex]?" going to be "sometimes" or "never"?

Sorry, I was getting it all wrong. I think I've understood what you were trying to say:

As you've said, ##F \subset X \setminus S##. Then, ##F^{\circ} \subset {(X \setminus S)}^{\circ}##. Suppose there exists ##x \in F^{\circ}##. By hypothesis, ##F=\partial S##, thus ##x## is a limit point of ##S##. Now, ##x \in {(X \setminus S)}^{\circ}##, so there is ##\delta>0##: ##B(x,\delta) \subset X \setminus S##. But, as ##x## is a limit point of ##S##, there is ##y \in S \cap B(x,\delta)##, so ##y \in S \cap (X \setminus S)##, which is clearly absurd. From here it follows ##F^{\circ}=\emptyset##.

The answer is going to be "never".

Thanks!

1. What is a metric space?

A metric space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of points and a distance function that assigns a non-negative value to pairs of points, satisfying certain properties. In simpler terms, it is a space where we can measure the distance between points.

2. What is a subset of a metric space?

A subset of a metric space is a set of points that is contained within the original metric space. It is formed by selecting specific elements from the original set that satisfy certain criteria or conditions.

3. How is topology related to subsets of a metric space?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties of spaces that are preserved under continuous deformations. In the context of subsets of a metric space, topology helps us understand the relationships between different subsets and their structures.

4. What does the statement about topology of subsets of a metric space mean?

The statement about topology of subsets of a metric space refers to the study of how different subsets of a metric space are related to each other in terms of their structures and properties. It helps us understand the underlying patterns and connections between these subsets.

5. Why is understanding the topology of subsets of a metric space important?

Understanding the topology of subsets of a metric space is important because it allows us to gain a deeper understanding of the structure and properties of the metric space as a whole. It also helps us make connections between seemingly unrelated subsets and provides insight into the overall behavior of the space.