Statement of research interests help

• Thread starter Khashishi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of submitting a statement of research interests for academic positions after graduating with a PhD. The person has found advice online for the structure of the statement, but still has questions about how much to modify it for a specific position and whether to focus on their dissertation or potential future research. They also question whether to discuss their current research or past work. The general consensus is to explain what they envision doing in the position if they were to get it.
Khashishi
Science Advisor
I just graduated (PhD) and I have not gotten a job yet (maybe I'm screwed!). I've noticed that many of the academic positions require me to submit a statement of research interests. I did some searching online and I've found some advice for the statement structure, but I still have some questions.

To what extent should I modify the research statement to fit a particular position? When I look at various post-doc positions, they all have various subfields which don't exactly match what I have worked on in my dissertation. Everybody seems to be asking for something super specific. Am I supposed to say what I would do in that position? Or what I would do if I had totally free reign to work on whatever I want?

Also, the various statement guides say to talk about current research I'm doing. Well, I just finished my dissertation. Should I just talk about that? I don't really have anything lined up for the future.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should explain what you see yourself doing if you get the job.

1. What is a statement of research interests?

A statement of research interests is a document that outlines an individual's research interests, goals, and plans for future research projects. It is often required for academic positions, grants, and graduate school applications.

2. How long should a statement of research interests be?

The length of a statement of research interests can vary, but it is typically between 1-2 pages. It should be concise and focused, highlighting the most important aspects of an individual's research interests.

3. What should be included in a statement of research interests?

A statement of research interests should include a brief introduction to the research topic, the significance and potential impact of the research, the individual's background and qualifications related to the research, and specific research questions or objectives.

4. How should I format my statement of research interests?

The format of a statement of research interests may vary depending on the specific requirements of the institution or organization. However, it is typically written in a clear and organized manner, with a consistent font and spacing. It is also important to proofread for any spelling or grammatical errors.

5. Can I include my previous research experience in my statement of research interests?

Yes, it is recommended to include relevant research experience in your statement of research interests. This can demonstrate your expertise and qualifications in the field and how your previous work has influenced your current research interests and goals.