1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statement of research interests help

1. May 28, 2014 #1
    I just graduated (PhD) and I have not gotten a job yet (maybe I'm screwed!). I've noticed that many of the academic positions require me to submit a statement of research interests. I did some searching online and I've found some advice for the statement structure, but I still have some questions.

To what extent should I modify the research statement to fit a particular position? When I look at various post-doc positions, they all have various subfields which don't exactly match what I have worked on in my dissertation. Everybody seems to be asking for something super specific. Am I supposed to say what I would do in that position? Or what I would do if I had totally free reign to work on whatever I want?

Also, the various statement guides say to talk about current research I'm doing. Well, I just finished my dissertation. Should I just talk about that? I don't really have anything lined up for the future.

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2014 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You should explain what you see yourself doing if you get the job.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook