States in the Hydrogen Atom that are not allowed

In summary, the equation for the hydrogen wave function is given by -x^2y^2z^2+xy+y^2z+z^2+xz+2y^3=0.
guyvsdcsniper
Homework Statement
Show that for any two l = 0 states, these transitions are not possible.
Relevant Equations
expectation value
Screen Shot 2022-04-10 at 10.59.32 AM.png

I am a little lost on how to approach this problem.

What I know is the following:
The r vector is in terms of x y and z hat.
I know my two l=0 states can be the 1s and 2s normalized wave function for Hydrogen.

Should I be integrating over dxdydz?
IMG_9381.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
What is significative of the ##l=0## states as functions of the spherical coordinates?

Orodruin said:
What is significative of the ##l=0## states as functions of the spherical coordinates?
l=0 states mean the orbitals are the shape of a sphere. Ok that's illuminating, so I should be integrating in spherical coordinates, r2sinθdrdθφ. So r should be from 0→∞.

I feel like I am still missing something. If I multiply this out its going to be a mess.

quittingthecult said:
l=0 states mean the orbitals are the shape of a sphere. Ok that's illuminating, so I should be integrating in spherical coordinates, r2sinθdrdθφ. So r should be from 0→∞.
So the states have spherical symmetry. This means they are even under ##\vec r\to-\vec r##. What about ##\vec r##?

Orodruin said:
So the states have spherical symmetry. This means they are even under ##\vec r\to-\vec r##. What about ##\vec r##?
Ok I agree with your first two statements, that makes sense to me. If they are spherical they are symmetric.

Now what about ##\vec r##.
Well I know cos is an even function and sin in an odd function, so would I neglect ##\hat x## and ##\hat y## and would only care about the ##\hat z## component of ##\vec r##?

quittingthecult said:
Now what about r→.
Well I know cos is an even function and sin in an odd function, so would I neglect x^ and y^ and would only care about the z^ component of r→?
Don’t care about the coordinates. What happens to ##\vec r## when ##\vec r \to -\vec r##? (Not a trick question!)

Orodruin said:
Don’t care about the coordinates. What happens to ##\vec r## when ##\vec r \to -\vec r##? (Not a trick question!)
Its points in the opposite direction right?

quittingthecult said:
Its points in the opposite direction right?
So it picks up a minus sign and therefore is odd with respect to that symmetry. What does this mean fir the integrand? What about the integration volume?

So the integrand then is negative, and the integration volume would just be r2dr?

quittingthecult said:
So the integrand then is negative, and the integration volume would just be r2dr?
No. Let’s try something different:

What is the value of the following integral and why?
$$
\int_{-1}^1 e^{-x^2} \sin(x) dx
$$

Orodruin said:
So it picks up a minus sign and therefore is odd with respect to that symmetry. What does this mean fir the integrand? What about the integration volume?
0 because we are integrating symmetric bounds over an odd function.

quittingthecult said:
0 because we are integrating symmetric bounds over an odd function.
So, keeping this in mind, what about the integral you have?

ohhhh I think I see it. Since I have that sinθ (and that's its odd) in my dV, and we have spherical symmetry or even bounds this whole integral should just be zero.

quittingthecult said:
ohhhh I think I see it. Since I have that sinθ (and that's its odd) in my dV, and we have spherical symmetry or even bounds this whole integral should just be zero.
No. The value of ##\theta## only runs over where the sine is positive. Again, try not thinking of coordinates here. Just consider the integrand and the volume. If you must, use regular Cartesian coordinates.

Orodruin said:
No. The value of ##\theta## only runs over where the sine is positive. Again, try not thinking of coordinates here. Just consider the integrand and the volume. If you must, use regular Cartesian coordinates.
Im kind of lost now.
So we have symmetric bounds over an odd function i get that. I am stuck here

quittingthecult said:
Im kind of lost now.
So we have symmetric bounds over an odd function i get that. I am stuck here
That is all you need to know. The integrand is odd over a symmetric region.

Orodruin said:
That is all you need to know. The integrand is odd over a symmetric region.
So this proves the answer is zero because for an odd function, the integral over a symmetric interval equals zero?

Yes.

Likes guyvsdcsniper
Orodruin said:
I see what you were saying now in regards to this and can see how my thinking is wrong.

I understand the problem now and thank you for your help with this problem I took a lot away from it.

1. What are the states in the hydrogen atom that are not allowed?

The states in the hydrogen atom that are not allowed are those that violate the rules of quantum mechanics, specifically the Pauli exclusion principle and the Schrödinger equation. These states have energies that are not physically possible for the electron in the hydrogen atom.

2. Why are these states not allowed?

These states are not allowed because they would result in the electron having infinite energy or being in multiple places at once, which goes against the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics. Therefore, they are considered to be unphysical and not observable in nature.

3. How do these forbidden states affect the behavior of the hydrogen atom?

The forbidden states do not have any direct effect on the behavior of the hydrogen atom, as they are not physically possible. However, they play an important role in understanding the energy levels and transitions of the hydrogen atom, as well as in the development of quantum mechanics as a whole.

4. Can these forbidden states ever be observed or created?

No, these forbidden states cannot be observed or created in the hydrogen atom. However, under certain extreme conditions, such as in high-energy particle collisions, these states may briefly appear before decaying into allowed states.

5. Are there any other elements or systems that have forbidden states?

Yes, other atoms and systems also have forbidden states, as the principles of quantum mechanics apply to all particles and systems. However, the specific forbidden states and their properties may vary depending on the system and its energy levels.