1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

States of matter; liquids and solids

1. Aug 9, 2012 #1
    Water at 0°C was placed in a dish inside a vessel maintained at low pressure by a vacuum pump. After a quantiti of water had evaporated, the remainder froze. If 9.31 g of ice at 0°C was obtained, how much liquid water must have evaporated? The heat of fusion of water is 6.01 kJ/mol and its heat of vaoprization is 44.9 kJ/mol at 0°C.

Ok so I have conversion factors in specific places that coincedently generated the correct answer and I know this because my answer matches the books answer. But I don't understand the reasoning. Why does this work? I need to know what is really going on. And how to be able to know the answer is correct without peeking.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2012 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

It seems you need just over 7 times the energy to vapourise the water than to freeze it, so around 1/7th will have evaporated when the rest has frozen.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook