Static equilibrium, trusses/section method

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving for the forces in members BC, BE, and EF using equilibrium equations and determining the number of torques acting on point B. There is also a discussion about finding the length of side CP using the law of sines or tangent. The conversation ends with a realization of an algebra mistake.
J-dizzal

Homework Statement

Calculate the forces in members BC, BE, and EF. Solve for each force from an equilibrium equation which contains that force as the only unknown. The forces are positive if in tension, negative if in compression.
20150718_153115_zps3gcjaafw.jpg

Homework Equations

Sum of forces and moments equal zero.

The Attempt at a Solution

20150718_153056_zpsr4lvcjn7.jpg

I'm on force BE, i cannot see what is wrong with my moment equation. what am i missing here? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dr. Courtney said:
How many torques are acting on B?
B has two torques acting on it.

Dr. Courtney said:
Are you sure? Why only two?
because i made a cut between B and C. and the only torques are: [tex] Dy(5) and 2.5EFcos∅ [/tex]
im sure i think its only two. but I am often wrong

Last edited:
Dr. Courtney said:
Are you sure? Why only two?
Should i include G(2.5)? if yes then why because i cut it out?

Your distance between D and P doesn't look correct.

TSny said:
Your distance between D and P doesn't look correct.
I created point P to be 2.5m from point D. was i wrong to do that?
edited

I thought you chose P so that P lies on the extension of segment FE. Then force FEF would not produce any moment about P.

If P is not on the extension of EF then you will need to include the moment due to FEF when summing moments about P.

TSny said:
I thought you chose P so that P lies on the extension of segment FE. Then force FEF would not produce any moment about P.

If P is not on the extension of EF then you will need to include the moment due to FEF when summing moments about P.
Oh ok i get the trick now. that makes much more sense. let me try again. thanks

J-dizzal said:
Oh ok i get the trick now. that makes much more sense. let me try again. thanks
so how do i find the length of DP if i only know the angles and one side of a similar triangle CED?
Is using similar triangles the correct way to solve for DP?

Last edited:
Consider triangle CEP. What is the angle at vertex P? What is the length of side CP?

TSny said:
Consider triangle CEP. What is the angle at vertex P? What is the length of side CP?
the angle at P is 17.74 degrees. I am still thinking about how to find length CP

TSny said:
CP is 5.8 using the law of sines.

J-dizzal said:
the angle at P is 17.74 degrees. I am still thinking about how to find length CP
OK

J-dizzal said:
CP is 5.8 using the law of sines.
I don't think this is correct. I don't see how you are using the law of sines.

If you know the angle at P and the length of the side CE, you should be able to get side CP.

TSny said:
I don't think this is correct. I don't see how you are using the law of sines.

If you know the angle at P and the length of the side CE, you should be able to get side CP.

Im struggling to see how. I used the law of sines knowing two angles of CEP and one side.
[tex] sin(72.26)/CP = sin(17.74)/1.7 [/tex]

J-dizzal said:
Im struggling to see how. I used the law of sines knowing two angles of CEP and one side.
[tex] sin(72.26)/CP = sin(17.74)/1.7 [/tex]
OK. That will work. But I don't get 5.8 for CP using this formula.

I was thinking of just using 1.7/CP = tan(17.74) to find CP.

Likes J-dizzal
TSny said:
OK. That will work. But I don't get 5.8 for CP using this formula.

I was thinking of just using 1.7/CP = tan(17.74) to find CP.
Yea i made an algebra mistake...i should of taken an algebra class this summer instead.

1. What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state in which all forces acting on a body are balanced, resulting in no net change in motion or rotation. This means that the body is at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

2. How do trusses contribute to static equilibrium?

Trusses are structures made of interconnected triangles that can support heavy loads by distributing the forces acting on them. They contribute to static equilibrium by transferring the applied forces to the support points, resulting in a stable and balanced structure.

3. What is the section method in static equilibrium?

The section method is a technique used to analyze the forces acting on a specific section of a truss. It involves cutting the truss at the desired section and applying the principles of static equilibrium to determine the internal forces at that section.

4. What are the assumptions made in the analysis of trusses?

The main assumptions made in the analysis of trusses are that the members are connected by pinned or hinged joints, the members are loaded only at their joints, and the members are loaded only by axial forces (tension or compression).

5. What are the applications of static equilibrium and trusses?

Static equilibrium and trusses are used in various engineering fields, such as civil, mechanical, and aerospace engineering, to design and analyze structures and machines. They are also used in physics and architecture to understand and create stable structures.