Statically Indeterminate Truck - Finding reaction forces at supports

In summary: I have a diagram that shows the displacement at the axle for different angles, I can use that to calculate the reaction forces at the axle?
Ashferico
Homework Statement
A truck is supported at its two axles and its stabiliser legs. It has a weight of 59kN and carries a load on a lifting arm of 45kN. What are the reaction forces at each wheel and stabiliser leg for static equilibrium? The problem is statically indeterminate because there are more unknowns than equilibrium equations.
Relevant Equations
Vertical Forces in Y axis = 0
Horizontal Forces in X axis = 0
Moments about a point = 0
Compatibility of Deformations/Displacements/Deflections
Force-Displacement: Displacement = (Force x Initial Length)/(Area x Young's Modulus)
1585583108835.png

If you do the sum of vertical forces and sum of moments, you're always left with an unknown.

Vertical Forces: Ray + Rby + Rcy = 59kN + 45kN (1)
Sum of Moments about A: (59 x 1.85) - (Rby x 3.7) - (Rcy x 4.8) + (45 x 6.5) = 0 (2)

If you make a formula for Rby using Rcy and substitute back into equation (1), you will still have Ray as an unknown hence statically indeterminate.

From my understanding statically indeterminate problems require that you somehow relate the displacements/deflection of supports to each other. Hence forming another equation and eliminating an unknown.

I know for beam problems you find a point on the beam that you KNOW the deflection is equal to zero. Then you calculate the deflection of the beam at that point IF ONLY one load or reaction force is acting. Then you do this for each load/reaction force and sum them all equal to zero. You eliminate unknowns and then substitute back into the equilibrium equations.

However, I don't understand how to apply this to my truck scenario. I've been trying to do it for 3 days. I would love if the smart guys from Physics Forums could point me in the right direction.

Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Let us review your understanding of truck suspension.

Is the front axle sprung or unsprung?
Is the rear axle sprung or unsprung?
Are the stabilizer legs sprung or unsprung?

If the driver extends the stabilizer legs until they are just touching the ground and then begins to lift the payload, do you see a way to solve the problem?

jbriggs444 said:
Let us review your understanding of truck suspension.

Is the front axle sprung or unsprung?
Is the rear axle sprung or unsprung?
Are the stabilizer legs sprung or unsprung?

If the driver extends the stabilizer legs until they are just touching the ground and then begins to lift the payload, do you see a way to solve the problem?

Hi J Briggs,

Thank you for the response. I'm not super clued up about suspensions. I would say that both axles and stabilizer legs are sprung with the same stiffness.

With the last question, does that mean the stabilizer reaction force is zero? If so, I guess that makes it possible. I'm not quite sure.

Ashferico said:
Thank you for the response. I'm not super clued up about suspensions. I would say that both axles and stabilizer legs are sprung with the same stiffness.
In fact, the stabilizer legs are rigidly mounted to the frame while the tires, wheels and axles are connected to the frame through springs.

The wheels have "give". The stabilizer legs do not.

You will probably need a simplifying assumption about the spring constants for the front and rear axles. One way of approaching that would be to assume that the travel for both front and rear springs is identical under a typical load. That would let you determine the ratio of the two spring constants.

Edit: The diagram can be used to determine the front/rear load ratio before the payload is lifted. It is a very simple one.

Likes Ashferico
Ashferico said:
both axles and stabilizer legs are sprung with the same stiffness.
That seems unlikely. There are reasons for springs on the axles, but not on the stabilizers.
I would take the legs as rigid but the two axles with the same spring constant. The one constant can represent both the springs and the elasticity of the tyres.
Next, you need variables for the small amounts by which the vehicle will rise at the axles when the load is applied. There is a geometric relationship between them. Then relate them also to the new forces on them.

Last edited:
Likes Ashferico and jbriggs444
jbriggs444 said:
Edit: The diagram can be used to determine the front/rear load ratio before the payload is lifted. It is a very simple one.

Thank you! What more information on my diagram do I need to calculate the reaction forces when payload is lifted?

haruspex said:
That seems unlikely. There are reasons for springs on the axles, but not on the stabilizers.
I would take the legs as rigid but the two axles with the same spring constant. The one constant can represent both the springs and the elasticity of the tyres.
Next, you need variables for the small amounts by which the vehicle will rise at the axles when the load is applied. There is a geometric relationship between them. Then relate them also to the new forces on them.

Thank you! So I think I have applied what you mentioned. Is this what you had in mind?
1585842446673.png

Ashferico said:
Thank you! What more information on my diagram do I need to calculate the reaction forces when payload is lifted?
Thank you! So I think I have applied what you mentioned. Is this what you had in mind?
View attachment 259850
Your first equation there is wrong. Think through the similar triangles again.

I always strongly advise working purely algebraically, only plugging in numbers at the end. Create variables for the distances.
Had you done that, I think you would have spotted the mistake.

Likes Ashferico
haruspex said:
Your first equation there is wrong. Think through the similar triangles again.

I always strongly advise working purely algebraically, only plugging in numbers at the end. Create variables for the distances.
Had you done that, I think you would have spotted the mistake.
Yes, you're right. I've corrected it now.
1585922794146.png

Thank you for your help!

Hello again,

I have to calculate the required force of the linear actuator that drives the stabilizer leg. The 79.3kN I calculated before, if that was spread over 2 stabilizers, it would approximately 40kN per leg. If it was angled at 60 degrees like on the diagram, does that mean linear actuator force is: 40/sin(60) = 46kN

Have I got this wrong?

Kind regards,

Ashley

1. What is a statically indeterminate truck?

A statically indeterminate truck refers to a type of structure where the number of unknown forces or reactions at the supports exceeds the number of available equations to solve for them. This means that the forces cannot be determined using traditional methods and require advanced techniques such as the method of virtual work or the slope-deflection method.

2. How do you determine the reaction forces at the supports of a statically indeterminate truck?

To determine the reaction forces at the supports of a statically indeterminate truck, you can use advanced methods such as the method of virtual work or the slope-deflection method. These methods involve creating additional equations to solve for the unknown forces. Alternatively, you can also use computer software or perform physical experiments to determine the reaction forces.

3. What is the significance of finding the reaction forces at the supports of a statically indeterminate truck?

Finding the reaction forces at the supports of a statically indeterminate truck is important for ensuring the structural stability and safety of the truck. These forces help determine the load distribution and structural integrity of the truck, which is crucial for its safe operation. Additionally, knowing the reaction forces can also help with optimizing the design and reducing costs.

4. Can the reaction forces at the supports of a statically indeterminate truck be negative?

Yes, the reaction forces at the supports of a statically indeterminate truck can be negative. This usually occurs when the truck is under a compressive load, causing the supports to push inwards instead of outwards. Negative reaction forces are also possible when the truck is experiencing bending moments or shear forces.

5. What are some real-world applications of analyzing a statically indeterminate truck?

The analysis of a statically indeterminate truck has many real-world applications, such as in the design and construction of bridges, buildings, and other structures. It is also used in the automotive industry for designing and testing vehicle frames and suspension systems. Additionally, it is used in the aerospace industry for analyzing the structural integrity of aircraft and spacecraft.