• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Static fluids; Density; Buoyancy

• Thread starter awertag
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A toy dinosaur floats on water in a container and is partially submerged with 90 % of its volume underwater (submerged).

(a) What is the density of the dinosaur?
I got this answer right. It is 900 kg/m^3

A layer of oil, with a density of 869 kg/m3, is now poured into the container on top of the water to a depth that more than covers the dinosaur.

Find the percentage of the dinosaur submerged in the water after the oil was added. (Ignore the buoyancy of the air before the oil is added.)

This answer I did not get right, and I really don't know how to do it.

(Hint: the dinosaur is suspended at rest in the fluids with x% of its volume in the water and (1-x)% of its volume in the oil

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried 900 ÷ 869 and that gives 1.03567 then i thought to subtract that from 100 percent. I know that doesn't make much sense, but I was grasping for any kind of path that might get me the answer. (sound desperate enough to you?) lol help is very much appreciated!!

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
hi awertag! :smile:
Hint: the dinosaur is suspended at rest in the fluids with x% of its volume in the water and (1-x)% of its volume in the oil
what happened to x ?? :confused:

follow the hint! …

what principle is involved? use x to calculate it! :smile:

(and remember that the dinosaur is still floating … it's lighter than the water but heavier than the oil)