1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Static friction(Impending motion)

1. Oct 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 100 kg block rests as shown in Figure on a wedge of negligible weight. Knowing that
    the coefficient of static friction is 0.25 at all surfaces of contact, determine: (g = 9.81 m/s2)
    a) the angle θ (degree) for which sliding is impending and
    b) compute the corresponding value of the normal force (N) exerted on the block by the vertical wall.

2. Relevant equations

F=μN; ψ=arctanμ

3. The attempt at a solution

This solution is given by my professor, as attached below.

My doubt is:
    Why we can make an assumption that all the contact surfaces are in the condition of impending? It can happen that only the wedge is in the impending motion while others may haven't reached their maximum static friction yet. Thank you so much for your help and message me if you cannot get what I mean, I will try to elaborate more. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2013 #2
    It should be clear by geometry that if one body moves then the other has to move as well. Just imagine what will happen if the wedge moves slight but the upper body stays put. clearly the normal force from the wall/wedge will disappear and the upper body will tend to fall due to gravity. so when the wedge is just about to move, the upper body is just about to fall (but not free-fall). so both the bodies will have the tendency to move simultaneously.

I hope that helps. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted