Static friction, uniform circular motion problem

In summary, the question asks if it is a good idea to drive below 45 mph on a properly banked and posted highway curve if the tires are bald or if the road is icy. The answer is false because the road is banked for a speed of 45 mph, meaning there is no friction in the radial direction at that speed. Driving below 45 mph would create friction in the opposite direction, increasing the chances of slipping on a bald tire or icy road.
thepatient
So I've been pondering on this question for quite a while and I'm a little stumped. It's not a homework problem; just a problem I came across yahoo answers a week ago. Basically it's a true or false question:

Homework Statement

If a highway curve is properly banked and posted at 45 mph, it is a good idea to drive somewhat below this speed if your tires are bald or if the road is icy?

Homework Equations

a(rad) = v^2/R
F(net) = ma
F (static friction force) is less than or equal to Force of normal times coefficient of static friction.

The Attempt at a Solution

So basically, I first assumed it's true, because the reduced friction between the road and tires at a higher speed would probably make you skid off the road. Others said false because it's undergoing uniform circular motion through the curve. Which would also make sense too.

What do you guys think? Am I right or wrong? XD I tried solving but there are too many unknowns and the force of static friction would have an x and y component if I choose a standard axis, which makes it very messy. I tried a tilted axis, but then I get an x and y component of acceleration, which is just as bad. XD

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I obtained the general formula for the minimum velocity in order to take the turn. I used forces and x and y components of acceleration and obtained v =[ (gtan(theta) + zg)/(1+ztan(theta)/R) ]1/2
g = gravity (about 9.8 m/s^2)
theta being the angle that the banked curve makes on the x axis
z being the coefficient of static friction
R being the radius of the curve

I'm not sure if I did the right approach by using components of acceleration and letting the magnitude of the acceleration in the x-axis be v^2/r cos(theta) and y-axis acceleration v^2/r sin(theta)

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj198/1000_2008/IMG_0485.jpg?t=1290936317//Min or max velocity... darn and I thought I was doing good in physics. :(

Last edited:
hi,
the statement is false because if the road is banked for a speed of 45 mph then it means that at 45 mph, there is no friction acting on the tyres in the radial direction because centripital forces are provided by normal reactions solely.So, friction only acts in the direction tangential to the vehicle . So if the tyres are worn out, then one must drive at 45 mph and not less than that because driving at less 45 mph will generate a friction in radial direction opposite to centre of revolution.This will create chances of slipping if these frictional forces are not high enough which is quite possible if tyres are bald or road is icy.

What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that resists the motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It occurs when an object is at rest and is trying to be moved.

What factors affect the magnitude of static friction?

The magnitude of static friction is affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the normal force between the surfaces, and the roughness or smoothness of the surfaces.

How is the coefficient of static friction determined?

The coefficient of static friction is determined experimentally by measuring the maximum force needed to overcome static friction and cause the object to start moving, and dividing it by the normal force between the surfaces.

What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is the motion of an object moving in a circular path with a constant speed. The object's velocity is constantly changing as it moves in a circular path, but its speed remains constant.

How is static friction involved in a uniform circular motion problem?

In a uniform circular motion problem, static friction is the force that prevents an object from sliding off its circular path. It provides the centripetal force needed to keep the object moving in a circular path.