Static stick and cyclinder, did I approach this problem correctly?

In summary, the tension in the rod at the top (T) needs to be less than or equal to the friction at the top of the cylinder in order for the system to not slip.
MeMoses

Homework Statement

A horizontal stick of mass m has its left end attached to a pivot on a plane inclined at an angle theta, while its right end rest on top of a cylinder also of mass m which in turn rests on the plane as shown. The coefficients of friction at both points is (mu).
Sorry I couldn't add the symbols for some reason. I am always having problems attaching the drawing. Hopefully I can fix this after I post.

a.) Assuming the system is at rest, what is the normal force from the plane on the cylinder?

b.) What is the smallest value of (mu) in terms of theta for which the system does not slip?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For a.) the force on the cylinder from the stick is just mg/2 and the force of gravity from the ball is just mg. Then the normal force on the ball from the plane must be (mg/2+mg)cos(theta) = 1.5mg*cos(theta). Hopefully I'm right up to that point.
For part b.) do I need I need to use torques? I did not so I think I may be wrong. I just solved (mu)1.5mg*cos(theta) + (mu)0.5mg*cos(theta) >= 1.5mg*sin(theta) and got (mu) >= 3/4 * tan(theta)
Can someone let me know if I did this correctly or if I need to implement torques? Any help would be great.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Part a) looks right.

Part b) you have

(mu)1.5mg*cos(theta) + (mu)0.5mg*cos(theta) >= 1.5mg*sin(theta)

which looks correct if you are assuming the ball may slide but I do think you need to check that the ball won't roll out.

Ok that's what I thought, but how would I do this. I would have the force of friction on the bottom of the cylinder = (mu)1.5mg*cos(theta) which points up the inclined plane. The force of friction on the top would = (mu)0.5mg which points towards the inclined plane along the stick. When I set these equal to each other to balance the torques the (mu)'s cancel out so I assume I'm doing something wrong.

I've edited this post because having thought about it a bit more I've decided your approach is correct.

friction on the bottom of the cylinder = (mu)1.5mg*cos(theta)

friction on the top would = (mu)0.5mg

I believe it rolls down the hill if...

(mu)1.5mg*cos(theta)*R > (mu)0.5mg*R

(mu), mg and R cancel leaving

cos(theta) > 1/3

I think this is telling use that for cos(theta) > 1/3 it will roll. For cos (theta) < 1/3 use your answer for sliding..

(mu) >= 3/4 * tan(theta)

Would be nice to have input from another reader.

Last edited:
I could't put this in the original, but here is the sketch

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2012-09-16 20:05:40.png
    Screenshot at 2012-09-16 20:05:40.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 663
It feels wrong :(

Imagine that instead of a rod on top of the cylinder, the cylinder is held by a horizontal light string to the top of the cylinder instead. The additional mass of the rod is absorbed into the mass of the cylinder (which is now 3m/2). The only thing special about the string is that it breaks at the point where the rod would have slipped. (tension > μ mg/2)

This system is now very like a block on an inclined plane as the cylinder can only move by slipping (or breaking the string). My memory has the minimum μ to avoid slip for a block on an inclined plane as tan(θ): so a result that is less than that feels wrong.

Last edited:
There is the friction at the top of the cylinder though. So shouldn't that make the minimum (mu) less?

MeMoses said:
There is the friction at the top of the cylinder though. So shouldn't that make the minimum (mu) less?
I missed that :( so you are correct that μ can be less than tan(θ)

===

Let the tension in the rod at the top be T
Let the friction where the cylinder touches the inclined plane be F
Let the normal reaction where the cylinder touches the inclined plane be R

T=F (to avoid the cylinder rotating) <= this line is bothering me
T ≤ μ 1/2 m g (limit for the rod)
F ≤ μ R

T + F cos(θ) = R sin(θ) (resolve horizontal forces)
F ( 1 + cos(θ) ) = R sin(θ) (substitute T=F)
F/R = sin(θ)/ ( 1 + cos(θ) )

=> μ ≥ sin(θ)/ ( 1 + cos(θ) )

but that isn't a complete solution as the tension in the rod also restricts μ.

F + T cos(θ) = 3/2 m g sin(θ) (resolve along the inclined plane)
T (1 + cos(θ) ) = 3/2 m g sin(θ) (substitute T=F)
T/(1/2 m g ) = 3 sin(θ) / ( 1 + cos(θ) )

=> μ ≥ 3 sin(θ)/ ( 1 + cos(θ) )

which is always greater than the earlier result so is the required relationship for μ

Last edited:

1. What is the concept behind the static stick and cylinder problem?

The static stick and cylinder problem is a commonly used physical problem in introductory physics courses. It involves a stick resting on top of a cylinder, and the question is whether the stick will slip or not. This problem illustrates the concept of static friction, which is the force that keeps two surfaces from sliding against each other when there is no relative motion between them.

2. How do you approach solving the static stick and cylinder problem?

The first step in solving this problem is to draw a free body diagram of the stick and cylinder. This will help you identify all the forces acting on the system. Then, you can use Newton's second law, F=ma, to analyze the forces and determine if the stick will slip or not. You will also need to consider the coefficients of static and kinetic friction, as well as the angle of the stick and the weight of the stick and cylinder.

3. Can you provide an example of a real-life scenario that relates to the static stick and cylinder problem?

One example of a real-life scenario that relates to this problem is a ladder leaning against a wall. The ladder will not slip as long as the static friction between the ladder and the ground is greater than the force of gravity pulling the ladder down. This concept is important in understanding the stability and safety of objects in our everyday lives.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving the static stick and cylinder problem?

One common mistake is forgetting to take into account the angle of the stick. This can significantly affect the forces acting on the system and the resulting analysis. Another mistake is using the wrong coefficients of friction – make sure to use the coefficient of static friction when determining if the stick will slip or not.

5. What other concepts can be learned from the static stick and cylinder problem?

This problem not only teaches the concept of static friction, but it also introduces the concept of torque. The stick will only slip if the torque due to the weight of the stick and cylinder is greater than the torque due to the static friction. This problem also highlights the importance of considering all forces and angles when analyzing a system in equilibrium.