Static structure - find a fourth relation

In summary, the equilibrium of translation in the vertical and in the horizontal plus the rotation equilibrium is needed to find the four forces.
Moara
Homework Statement
As shown in the figure, we are given a static structure with articulated supports A and B. C is a point articulated too. We are asked to find the reaction forces and moments in A and B.
Relevant Equations
##F_r = ma##, ##M_r = I\alpha##
Captura de tela 2021-09-10 140458.png

First, since A and B are articulated, the moments due to A and B are zero. Now, we may call reaction forces in A, ##V_A## and ##H_A## and in the same way, call the reactions in B as ##V_B## and ##H_B##. With that and Newton's third law, I managed to find three equations (equilibrium of translation in the vertical and in the horizontal plus the rotation equilibrium), but, still, I need one more equation or argument to completely find the four forces.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can remove one support at a time and calculate the forces that are needed to keep the structure from rotating about the other.
It is bassicaly an ABC triangular closed structure.

Likes Moara
I don't think I understand how am I supposed to remove one support, could you clarify, please? Meanwhile, I tried to split the structure looking only at the branch AC, can I say that in C there will be only horizontal forces, hence finding that ##V_A = 10 \ kN## ?

Moara said:
plus the rotation equilibrium
There are two components that, in principle, can rotate independently, so you should have two rotation equilibrium equations.

haruspex said:
There are two components that, in principle, can rotate independently, so you should have two rotation equilibrium equations.
with that in mind, I did the equilibrium of rotation looking to C, from bar AC, getting another equation and finding ##H_A = \frac{90}{7}##, is it correct doing that ?

Moara said:
with that in mind, I did the equilibrium of rotation looking to C, from bar AC, getting another equation and finding ##H_A = \frac{90}{7}##, is it correct doing that ?
It appears that I have to look AC and BC separately right

Moara said:
It appears that I have to look AC and BC separately right

Moara said:
How do you get 90/7?

haruspex said:
How do you get 90/7?
I probably did a mistake in my calculations

Moara said:
I probably did a mistake in my calculations
but I think that horizontal and vertical equilibrium plus rotation equilibrium of AC and BC around C is correct

Moara said:
but I think that horizontal and vertical equilibrium plus rotation equilibrium of AC and BC around C is correct
Yes, that should work.

1. What is a static structure?

A static structure refers to the arrangement and organization of physical components or elements in a system, such as a building, bridge, or machine. It is the stable configuration of these components and their relationships to each other.

2. What is the purpose of finding a fourth relation in a static structure?

The purpose of finding a fourth relation in a static structure is to ensure that the structure is stable and can withstand external forces without collapsing. This fourth relation acts as a support or reinforcement to the existing three relations, providing additional stability and strength to the structure.

3. How is a fourth relation identified in a static structure?

A fourth relation in a static structure can be identified through various methods such as mathematical calculations, physical testing, and computer simulations. It involves analyzing the forces and stresses acting on the structure and determining where a fourth relation is needed to maintain its stability.

4. What are some common types of fourth relations in static structures?

Some common types of fourth relations in static structures include diagonal bracing, shear walls, and cross-bracing. These elements are often used to provide additional support and stability in structures such as buildings, bridges, and towers.

5. What are the consequences of not finding a fourth relation in a static structure?

If a fourth relation is not identified and implemented in a static structure, it may result in instability and potential failure of the structure. This can lead to safety hazards, structural damage, and financial losses. Therefore, it is crucial to properly analyze and design a static structure with all necessary relations in place.