Statics - 3 forces acting at a point -- angle α maxima

In summary, the problem involves finding the maximum tension in two cables attached to a pole, with one cable experiencing a horizontal force at an angle α. The equations used are the cosine law and the formula for calculating force. To find the maximum tension, a quadratic equation is formulated and differentiated. The top of the pole is the only movable point, so forces acting on it are considered. If a quantity is unknown, it is represented by a variable.
SFG

Homework Statement

Please if anyone could help me with this question .

Two wires AC and BC are attached to the top of pole CD . The force exerted by the pole at C is vertical and the 2.5 kN force applied at C is horizontal and makes an angle α with the direction of the x-axis .

Find the angle α for which the tension in AC is a maximum and the corresponding tension in each cable .

as per pdf diagram

Homework Equations

Cos ^2 ɸx + Cos ^2 ɸy + Cos ^2 ɸz = 1

F = √Fx^2 + Fy^2 + Fz^2

Cos ɸz = Fz/F

The Attempt at a Solution

Formulate a quadratic then differentiate to get a maxima .

Sorry I cannot find the start point for this solution . Please help

Attachments

• STATICS Q2.pdf
    23.9 KB · Views: 178
Physics news on Phys.org
Try summing forces in the x-direction.

Which force balances do you see that you can set up?

guys I am looking . seriously I am blanked without knowing another force or vector locations . regards SFG

The top of the pole is the only thing that can move, so it is useful to look at forces acting on that.
If you do not know a quantity, introduce a variable for it. That is something you will have to do frequently and everywhere.

ok thanks guys . i'll work on this overnight . regards

1. What is statics?

Statics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the study of objects at rest and their equilibrium under the influence of external forces.

2. What are the 3 forces acting at a point?

The 3 forces acting at a point refer to the three vectors that can be used to represent the magnitude and direction of forces acting on an object or point. These forces are typically represented by the components of a 3D Cartesian coordinate system: x, y, and z.

3. How is angle α related to the 3 forces at a point?

Angle α, also known as the angle of inclination, is the angle formed between the x-axis and the resultant force vector created by the 3 forces acting at a point. It is used to determine the direction and magnitude of the resultant force.

4. What is the significance of determining α maxima in statics?

α maxima, or the maximum angle of inclination, is important in statics because it helps to identify the most critical load conditions for a given structure. It allows engineers and scientists to determine the maximum forces that a structure can withstand before reaching its breaking point.

5. How can α maxima be calculated?

To calculate α maxima, you will need to use vector addition and trigonometry. First, find the resultant force vector by adding the 3 forces acting at a point. Then, use trigonometric functions to determine the angle of inclination between the x-axis and the resultant force vector.