Statics: a hinge held up by a string with a mass

In summary: If you could clarify what the hinge does for your equation, I might be able to help you.I'm not sure what the hinge does for my equation, but I need to solve for the force due to tension (FT). so i somehow need to work the equations to solve for FT while taking the Fh (force from the hinge) out of the equation.
bfusco

Homework Statement

A uniform beam of mass M and length L is mounted on a hinge at a wall as shown in the figure. It is held in a horizontal position by a wire making an angle (theta) as shown. A mass m is placed on the beam a distance from the wall, and this distance can be varied.

http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1058226/6/GIANCOLI.ch12.p84.jpg

a)Determine, as a function of x, the tension in the wire.
Express your answer in terms of the variables m, M, L, x, θ, and appropriate constants.

b)Determine, as a function of x, the horizontal component of the force exerted by the hinge on the beam. Assume that the positive x and y axes are directed to the right and upward, respectively.

c)Determine, as a function of x, the vertical component of the force exerted by the hinge on the beam.

The Attempt at a Solution

a)first i realized that the force from the hinge and force due to tension had components.

choosing the hinge for the torque axis of rotation, i used the equation ƩFx=0, Fhx-Tx=0, Fhx=Tx. Then i used ƩFy=0, Fhy+Ty-mg-Mg=0 (here i didn't know what to solve for) and finally i used the equation Ʃτ=0, LT-xmg-(L/2)Mg=0, T=(xmg+(L/2)Mg)/L and it is at this point i don't see how i have yet to solve for anything useful to simplify any of the other equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure why you would need to solve for anything. Isn't the question simply asking for an equation involving those variables?

Torque=F.r.Sinθ

tal444 said:
I'm not sure why you would need to solve for anything. Isn't the question simply asking for an equation involving those variables?

yes, but I am focusing on solving for the force due to tension (FT). so i somehow need to work the equations to solve for FT while taking the Fh (force from the hinge) out of the equation. With the Fh in the equation there are 2 unknown variables and that wouldn't be a function of x.

I'm confused, ignore the hinge for the moment if it's your axis. Your equation should be something like the (force of center of gravity)(length acting on) + (force of mass)(length acting on) = (tension on cable)(length acting on). Rearranging that equation, I see no Fh that you speak of.

1. What is the definition of statics?

Statics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the study of forces and their effects on stationary objects.

2. How is a hinge held up by a string with a mass an example of statics?

In this scenario, the hinge is held in place by the tension force of the string, which balances out the weight of the mass. This results in a state of equilibrium, which is a key concept in statics.

3. What is the significance of the mass in this situation?

The mass is important because it adds weight to the system, which must be balanced out by the tension force of the string in order to maintain equilibrium.

4. How does the angle of the string affect the forces involved in this situation?

The angle of the string affects the magnitude of the tension force. As the angle increases, the tension force also increases, and vice versa.

5. What other factors could impact the equilibrium of the hinge held up by a string with a mass?

Other factors that could impact the equilibrium include the length and elasticity of the string, as well as any external forces acting on the system.