Statics force problem - Force required to be a minimum

In summary, the conversation is about determining the minimum magnitude of F1 when finding the resultant force on a bracket. The speaker is unsure of what it means for the force to be required to be a minimum and seeks help. Their friend suggests using the derivative to find the minimum. The conversation ends with the speaker understanding how to solve the problem.
Sxq
1. Homework Statement :
If the resultant force acting on the bracket is required to be a minimum, determine the magnitude of F1.

I understand how to solve problems like this, I just don't understand what it means when it says that the force is required to be a minimum. Any help would be great!

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/8929/staticsproblem.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Compute the resultant force. Now try different F1 magnitudes to see if it increases or decreases the resultant force. See if something would minimize the resultant force.

A friend said that I should take the derivative (of what?), set it to 0, and find the minimum that way. Does that make any sense?

That's right, Sxq! Of R, the resultant. R is a function of F1; i.e., R(F1). Give it a try. Hint 1: Don't forget the chain rule. :wink:

Okay thanks!
I got it =p

1. What is a statics force problem?

A statics force problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the amount of force required to maintain a stationary object or system. This can include calculating the minimum force needed to keep an object in place, or the amount of force needed to balance an object on an incline.

2. How is the minimum force required determined?

The minimum force required is determined by analyzing the forces acting on the object or system. This includes the weight of the object, any applied forces, and the normal force (force perpendicular to the surface of contact). The minimum force required will be the smallest force that cancels out all other forces, resulting in a net force of zero and maintaining the object's stationary position.

3. What factors can affect the minimum force required?

The minimum force required can be affected by the weight and mass of the object, the angle of incline or slope, and any other external forces applied. Friction can also play a role in determining the minimum force required, as it can either increase or decrease the force needed to maintain a stationary position.

4. How can the minimum force required be calculated?

The minimum force required can be calculated using Newton's Second Law, which states that force (F) is equal to mass (m) multiplied by acceleration (a). In the case of a stationary object, the acceleration will be zero, so the minimum force required will be the weight of the object (mg) plus any additional external forces.

5. How is statics force problem solving useful in real life?

Statics force problem solving is useful in many real-life applications, such as engineering and construction. By understanding the minimum force required to keep an object in place, engineers can design structures and machines that are stable and safe. This type of problem solving is also important in fields such as physics, where understanding forces and their effects is crucial to many scientific experiments and theories.