1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

STATICS problem: Minimum Resultant Force

Tags:
  1. Jan 26, 2016 #1
    Problem Statement: If the resultant force acting on the bracket is required to be a minimum, determine the magnitude of F1 and the resultant force. Set ∅=30 deg.

Probs.2-51_52_53.jpg

I have found the components of each force and set them up into a resultant vector, with F1 solved symbolically into its components. I'm not sure how to find the magnitude of F1 so that the resultant is a minimum.

Also, what is the significance of the 'u' axis?

I understand I have to take the derivative of the resultant but I'm not sure how its done. Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2016 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

You should have something that looks like ##R=(A+x)\hat x + (B + y)\hat y## where x and y are the components of F1. Minimize the magnitude of R.
    Using the angles, you should be able to write x and y in terms of magnitude times either sine or cosine to get them to one variable.
    Then you can use the standard derivative with respect to magnitude variable to find the minimum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted