1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics - long rod of linear varying density supported at both ends

1. Nov 6, 2007 #1
    A 3.0 m long rod has a density described by = a + bx, where is the density in kilograms per meter of length, a = 5.0 kg/m, b = 5.0 kg/m2, and x is the distance in meters from the left end of the rod. The rod rests horizontally with its ends each supported by a scale. What do the two scales read?

I dont even know how to start this one.

If anyone can show me how to set this up I can solve the rest
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

First find the mass of the rod, and the location of the center of mass of the rod...

The measurement the scale reads, is the magnitude of the normal force that the scale exerts...

You can find one of these forces using net torque about the appropriate point = 0...

Then the other force can also be obtained using torque... or using sum of forces in y-direction = 0.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?