Statics, moment of inertia simple square-shape (no calculus)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
Femme_physics
Gold Member
Messages
2,548
Reaction score
1
Statics, moment of inertia simple square-shape...need help (no calculus)

Homework Statement



Calculate the moment of inertia to the central axes Xc and Yc for the sketched cross-section.

Xc = 33.9 mm
Yc = 150 mm


http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/1303/97823499.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Homework Equations



Moment of inertia geometrical shapes. No calculus.

Answers are

Ix = 1.008 x 10^8 mm^4
Iy = 1.085 x 10^7 mm4


The Attempt at a Solution


attached. I accidentally wrote Yc in the last equation instead of Iy...
 
Attachments
  • a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 602
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org


Your horizontal distance of the smaller rectangle has been taken as if it was horizontally centered, but it's not...
 


I've been trying to think what you mean but I'm not sure. Are my distances incorrect?
 


Femme_physics said:
I've been trying to think what you mean but I'm not sure. Are my distances incorrect?

You have your distances as:
(125/2-33.9) for the larger rectangle, but (110/2-33.9) for the smaller rectangle.
The latter is incorrect.

Perhaps if you draw it on paper (accurately enough), you can measure the distances and you'll see what I mean.
Note that it's always useful to make drawings like that if only to verify no mistakes were made.
 


Got it! So the distance should be 125-110/2-33.9 = 36.1.

Yep, right answer now :D Merci me amora!