1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics problem solving reactions

1. Nov 16, 2009 #1
    Hi, can anyone show the correct method of how to solve a problem like this. Got the answers from my book but have no idea how they get them?

Thanks
    James

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What is the general method for solving statics problems like these? Since the mechanism is static, what can you say about the sum of the forces and moments on the various parts? Does that help you to start to draw some things and write some equations?

4. Nov 17, 2009 #3
    Yes I know how to apply the equilibrium equations and have the answer for the vertical and horizontal reactions and point A as, 8 kips and 2 kips. But when i try to apply this I can't get the answer. Confused

James

5. Nov 17, 2009 #4
    Sorry If you think this is a homework question, but is just a problem out of an old statics book i bought and wanted to check if I could still solve these questions. Evidently not

6. Nov 17, 2009 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Could you please write out those equilibrium equations for us for points A-E? Show us what you have so far, and that should help us to help you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook