Statics problem - too many unknowns?

In summary, the question is asking to find the tension in the string keeping a contraption with two sticks together. The left stick has mass m, the right stick has mass 2m, and the values of m, θ, and L are known. The equilibrium equations for the right stick are By + Cy - 2mg = 0, T + Bx = 0, and Cy*0.5cosθ - By*0.5cosθ - Bx*0.5sinθ = 0. To solve for the tension, you can add the left stick to the equations, resulting in 6 unknown parameters and 6 equations.
Gauss M.D.

Homework Statement

See attachment. Find the tension in the string that is keeping this weird contraption together. The left stick has mass m, the right stick has mass 2m. m, θ and L are known quantities.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried starting with the right stick since there's less unknowns there. There's five forces acting upon it I think. By, Bx, T, Cy and 2mg.

I got these equilibrium equations:

By + Cy - 2mg = 0
T + Bx = 0
Cy*0.5cosθ - By*0.5cosθ - Bx*0.5sinθ = 0

Not sure where to go from here. Having a REALLY tough time getting an intuition for statics.

Attachments

• prob3.png
    prob3.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 454
Physics news on Phys.org
You could add the left stick.
This will give 3 equations again, but just 2 additional unknown parameters. In total, you get 6 unknown parameters and 6 equations.

1. How do I solve a statics problem with too many unknowns?

To solve a statics problem with too many unknowns, you can use the equations of equilibrium, which include the sum of forces and moments in different directions. This will help you determine the unknown variables and solve the problem.

2. Can I use a free-body diagram to solve a statics problem with too many unknowns?

Yes, a free-body diagram is a useful tool for solving statics problems with too many unknowns. It helps you visualize all the forces acting on a body and allows you to set up the equations of equilibrium to solve for the unknown variables.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a statics problem with too many unknowns?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a statics problem with too many unknowns include not including all the forces acting on the body, not setting up the equations of equilibrium correctly, and not considering the direction of forces and moments.

4. How can I check if my solution to a statics problem with too many unknowns is correct?

You can check your solution by verifying that all the forces and moments are balanced, and the body is in a state of static equilibrium. Additionally, you can use the equations of equilibrium to solve for the unknown variables again to confirm your solution.

5. Are there any tips for solving a statics problem with too many unknowns?

Some tips for solving a statics problem with too many unknowns include drawing a clear and accurate free-body diagram, setting up the equations of equilibrium systematically, and double-checking your calculations and solution for accuracy.