1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics Question: Is my answer correct?

1. Feb 28, 2007 #1
    Please click the image to enlarge it

I think I have this problem solved correctly, but please check my solution. In the image my problem is *4-24
    The 70-N force acts on the end of the pipe at B Determine (a) The moment of this force about point A, and (B) the magnitude and direction of a horizontal force, applied at C, which produces the same moment take theta = 60 degrees

This is my solution

which comes out to 73.9 N*M counter clockwise in the Z

For part B
    [tex]73.9=Fd[/tex] with d = 0.9
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're almost there, good work. For part A, the magnitude of the moment is correct, but you said it was counterclockwise. It's actually a clockwise moment, with its direction pointing inward into the page along the z axis.
    for part B, again your solution for the magnitude of the Force is correct, but you've got to specify the direction of that force (left or right?) to give the same direction of moment as was determined in part A.
  4. Feb 28, 2007 #3

Clockwise is negative and CCW is positive. got it!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?