Statics problem -- Rectangular plate lying on two inclined surfaces

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving forces and moments on a plate. The individual is struggling with understanding how to use NA and NB in terms of α and β for moment calculations. They also have questions about the line of action of forces and how they relate to point A and B. It is determined that there are three forces acting on the plate and the normal forces intersect at point P. If the system is in equilibrium, the torque exerted by the gravitational force about P must be zero.
Mzaa

Homework Statement

https://www.img.in.th/image/VNaqVa
https://www.img.in.th/image/VNa3k9
upload_2018-5-12_11-36-12.png

upload_2018-5-12_11-36-38.png

This is my home work.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a problem with the force at A and B. I don't know how to use NA NB in the term of α and β to use moment calculation. I got that In x-axis NAsin∝=NBsinβ, but in the y-axis it still confuse.

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-12_11-36-38.png
    upload_2018-5-12_11-36-38.png
    7 KB · Views: 676
  • upload_2018-5-12_11-36-12.png
    upload_2018-5-12_11-36-12.png
    66.4 KB · Views: 605
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mzaa said:

Homework Statement

https://www.img.in.th/image/VNaqVa
https://www.img.in.th/image/VNa3k9
This is my home work.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a problem with the force at A and B. I don't know how to use NA NB in the term of α and β to use moment calculation. I got that In x-axis NAsinα=NBsinβ, but in the y-axis it still confuse.
How many forces act on the plate?
With that many forces acting on a body in equilibrium, what can you say about the lines of action of the forces?

I recently searched for definition of "line of action of force",but I still confuse.Are they the line passing through A and B and they're pararelled?

Mzaa said:
Are they the line passing through A and B
Yes. The normal force at A passes through point A. This is important for finding the torque that a force exerts about a given axis.
Here you have three forces acting on the plate. The lines of action of the two normal forces intersect at some point, P. If we take moments about that point, what torque do those two forces exert about P?
The third force is gravity.
If the system is in equilibrium, what does that tell you about the torque the gravitational force exerts about P?

1. What is the purpose of solving a statics problem involving a rectangular plate lying on two inclined surfaces?

The purpose of solving this type of statics problem is to determine the forces acting on the plate and whether it is in a state of equilibrium. This information is crucial in designing structures that can support the weight of the plate and any additional loads placed on it.

2. How do you approach solving a statics problem with a rectangular plate on two inclined surfaces?

The first step is to draw a free body diagram of the plate, showing all the forces acting on it. Then, apply the equations of static equilibrium to determine the unknown forces and whether the plate is in equilibrium. This involves analyzing the forces in the x- and y-directions, as well as taking moments about a chosen point.

3. What assumptions are typically made when solving a statics problem with a rectangular plate on two inclined surfaces?

Some common assumptions include assuming the plate is rigid and flat, neglecting the weight of the plate, and assuming the surfaces are smooth and frictionless. These assumptions simplify the problem and make it easier to solve, but they may not always reflect real-world scenarios.

4. How do you determine the reactions at the points where the plate meets the inclined surfaces?

To determine the reactions, you need to consider the forces acting on the plate at those points. This includes the weight of the plate, any additional loads placed on it, and the reactions from the inclined surfaces. You can then apply the equations of static equilibrium to solve for the unknown reactions.

5. Can a rectangular plate on two inclined surfaces ever be in a state of equilibrium without any external forces acting on it?

No, a plate on two inclined surfaces will always require external forces to maintain equilibrium. This is because the inclined surfaces will exert a reaction force on the plate, and without any external forces to balance it, the plate will not be in equilibrium.