STATICS truss/ math equation - joint by joint

In summary, a truss in statics is a structure that uses connected straight members to create a rigid framework that can withstand external forces and maintain stability. Its purpose is to evenly distribute and transfer forces to supporting structures. Truss joints are analyzed using the method of joints, which allows for the determination of forces without analyzing the entire truss. This method is significant in understanding truss forces. The stability of a truss is determined by balancing external and internal forces. If balanced, the truss is considered stable, but if unbalanced, it may experience deformation or failure.
whereitsbeen
studying for my test, I have a truss joint equation with 2 variables

ƩFx = 0 : 4/15 (15kN) - 10/10.44(Fbd) - 4/5(Fbe) = 0

12 = .957(Fbd) + .8(Fbe)

ƩFy= 0 : 3/5 (15kN) - 6kN - 3/10.44(Fbd) + 3/5(Fbe) = 0

6 = 9 -.287(Fbd) + .6(Fbe)
-3 = .287(Fbd) + .6(Fbe)

this is where I'm stuck. I'm unsure what math move to make next to solve Fbd or Fbe.

I'm unsure, any help would be appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First correct your 2nd equation plus and minus signs. You can then solve for one unknown in terms of the other in the first equation and substitute the result into the 2nd equation to solve for the unknowns.

1. What is a truss in statics?

A truss in statics is a structure composed of straight members connected at their ends by joints. It is used to create a rigid framework that can withstand external forces and maintain its shape and stability.

2. What is the purpose of a truss in statics?

The purpose of a truss in statics is to evenly distribute and transfer external forces, such as weight or load, to the supporting structures. This helps to prevent any one member from being overloaded and maintains the stability of the overall structure.

3. How are truss joints analyzed in statics?

Truss joints are analyzed using mathematical equations, specifically the method of joints. This involves breaking down the truss into individual joints and solving for the forces acting on each joint using equilibrium equations.

4. What is the significance of the method of joints in statics?

The method of joints is a fundamental technique used in statics to analyze and understand the forces acting on truss joints. It allows for the determination of forces without having to analyze the entire truss and can be applied to any truss configuration.

5. How is the stability of a truss determined in statics?

The stability of a truss is determined by analyzing the external forces acting on the truss and the internal forces within the members. If these forces are balanced and the truss remains in its original shape, then it is considered stable. If the forces are unbalanced, the truss may experience deformation or failure.