How do I determine the force in each member of the truss?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jesus Trinidad
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Statics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Jesus Trinidad
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Assume that each member of the truss is made of steel
having a mass per length of 4 kg/m. Set p=0 , determine the
force in each member, and indicate if the members are in
tension or compression. Neglect the weight of the gusset plates
and assume each joint is a pin. Solve the problem by assuming
the weight of each member can be represented as a vertical
force, half of which is applied at the end of each member.


Homework Equations



Ʃm=0
Ʃfx=0
Ʃfy=0

The Attempt at a Solution



I don't really know how to start
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The best place to start is to read the problem statement carefully.

There are some directions about setting up the problem. Have you followed these instructions?
It might help you to draw a sketch of the frame as directed. Treat each of the members as a bar, and the bars are connected to each other by pins.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
reply

SteamKing said:
The best place to start is to read the problem statement carefully.

There are some directions about setting up the problem. Have you followed these instructions?
It might help you to draw a sketch of the frame as directed. Treat each of the members as a bar, and the bars are connected to each other by pins.

I understand a little bit, someone told me that I have to calculate the weight of the bars first, and I don't really know how to do it, but if someone can tell me how to do that maybe I can do the problem.
 
The bars have a mass/unit length of 4 kg/m. If a bar is 4 m long, what is its mass?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person