Statistical definition of temperature

In summary, the derivative of temperature is a function which tells you how the density of states changes with energy.
WrongMan
hello everyone. i need help understanding this statement:
d(lnΩ)/dE = 1/kbT
so Ω are the posible microstates for energy E, and the derivative of Ω w.r.t E is 1/kbT.
why?
what i understand so far is: looking at the division of energy of two "connected" systems the energy will divide itself in a way that maximizes the total possible microstates, and since the total number of microstates is: Ω1(E1)*Ω2(E2)
(where "Ω1(E1)" means posible microstates at E1 for system 1) this would mean:
Et=E1+E2 and
Ωt(Et)=Ω1(E1)*Ω2(E2)
and since i want to maximize this i say:
t/dEt=0
so now what? i feel that I am close but i can't get there

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Hi, I want remember you that ##k_{b}\ln{\Omega}## is a well know quantity called Entropy...

Ssnow

Energy wants to move from a higher temperature to a lower temperature, until the temperatures are equal.
The statistical mechanics definition of temperature tells you that by moving energy from a higher temperature to a lower temperature, the total number of microstates is increased.

i understand the theory part of it, i just don't understand the calculus part of it, where does the 1/kbT comes from? what is meant by "d(lnΩ)/dE" is the rate at which lnΩ chages w.r.t E right? but i was never given an expression that relates mictostates with energy, i just sort of "count" ( or calculate using combinatory "formulas").

Ok, how do you take the derivative of a discrete quantity? Well, you can't. The statistical mechanics definition of temperature is really only valid for large systems where you can smooth over the quantum steps. You need to imagine a system with a whole bunch of closely spaced states. Then you imagine a small region of energy which overlaps many states. You have to calculate a density of states, which is a function that tells you how many states are in a small region of energy around any particular energy. Your small region has to be much bigger than the distance between adjacent states, or it fails. I'm not sure if there's a more mathematically rigorous way to define it.

Likes WrongMan and Nugatory

What is the statistical definition of temperature?

The statistical definition of temperature is a measurement of the average kinetic energy of the molecules in a substance. It is based on the idea that temperature is directly related to the random motions of particles in a substance.

How is temperature measured using statistics?

Temperature is measured using statistics by analyzing the distribution of molecular speeds in a substance. This is typically done by measuring the frequency of collisions between molecules and using this information to calculate the average kinetic energy of the molecules.

What is the relationship between temperature and energy?

Temperature and energy are directly related. As the temperature of a substance increases, the average kinetic energy of its molecules also increases. This means that the particles in the substance are moving faster and have more energy.

How is temperature affected by changes in pressure?

Changes in pressure can affect the temperature of a substance. When pressure increases, the average kinetic energy of the molecules also increases, resulting in a higher temperature. Conversely, when pressure decreases, the average kinetic energy and temperature decrease as well.

What are the different scales used to measure temperature statistically?

The most commonly used scales to measure temperature statistically are the Kelvin, Celsius, and Fahrenheit scales. The Kelvin scale is based on absolute zero, where there is no molecular motion, while the Celsius and Fahrenheit scales are based on the freezing and boiling points of water, respectively.